Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 9th, 2010 15:00

XPS 420, replaced power supply, question on cable management

I just replaced the power supply in my XPS 420, and noticed that some of the cables were kept out of the way by a clip on the side of the original power supply.  There were a couple of ribbon cables and a SATA data cable.  

My question is what other people have done with these cables that were affixed to the side of the power supply, since my new power supply has a fan on that side, and the cables are currently hanging out in front of the fan, which I don't like.

Just curious if anyone managed to do something more creative with those cables.  A picture would be helpful, but words are good, too *smile*.

Thanks.

-Roger

159 Posts

May 11th, 2010 01:00

I could start by using a cable tie to loosely tie together the cables that were clipped to the side of the power supply.  They were already in close proximity in the original clip, so it would probably be okay to do this, and it would decrease the surface area of the cables disturbing the airflow.  I'm a little concerned about coupling problems between the ribbon cables if I do this, but as I said, they were kind of close together in the clip on the side of the power supply, too.  

If I could make them stay in the same plane as the direction of the airflow (rather than broadside to it) once they were tied together , that would help even more, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Any other ideas?

Nice quiet power supply, by the way, now I'm just hearing the processor and graphics cards fans that I didn't hear at all before *smile*.

Thanks.

-Roger

No Events found!