Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2009 03:00

XPS 430 PSU Fan & Speed issue

Hi, I've got my XPS 430 for about 2-3 weeks now. I've noticed that suddenly the PSU fan speeds up randomly. It doesn't matter if the comp is warm or cold. Interesting is, when I open the side panel it slows down. Even if I press the side panels it slows down. So my question is, are there some kind of a switch connected to the side panels? Why does the fan speed up, my XPS 420 didn't. Is there a quality issue with the PSU's for 420/430. I know I've asked the question before or am I just unlucky with the PSU's.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 7th, 2009 03:00

Check the actual power supply when the fan speeds up, the fan in the power supply is reacting to the heat in the power supply not the overall heat in the PC.  However, when you open the case it allows more air in and with more air the power supply is probably cooling down.  I would check to make sure there are no obstructions to the cooling fan or power supply air intake. 

One comment, the fan on the Dell OEM power supply in my Dimension E510 desktop was always noisier than I thought it should be.  OEM power supplies are not the "best" around and same way with the fans.  I did some hardware upgrades to my E510 that also required more power than the stock power supply could handle and I replaced it with an Antec Tru Power Trio 550 watt model and the fan in it is very quiet, even with a load on the power supply (there are many good brands out there, this particular power supply just happened to be on sale at CompUSA when I was looking).

159 Posts

February 13th, 2009 14:00

The fact that opening up the side panel and pushing on the side panel affects the sound leads me to believe that it might be more of a vibration issue caused by the fan rather than the fan speed reving up and down.  Please re-evaluate and post back your findings.

February 13th, 2009 17:00

No it's not vibrating because the air flow increase as well. It speeds up to same speed as when you test the PSU with the Test Button at the back. It slows down when I push on the left side panel and also lean the comp over to the side. Also when I wiggle the wiring on the PSU. I'm getting tired of the quality issue now. But better to get used to it maybe, now when all companies including Dell, build parts in low cost countries like China. :(

5 Posts

June 5th, 2011 15:00

Can you let me know if/how this is solved? I do have the same issue (fan speeding like mad..) This behaviour started 2 weeks ago after years of good performance. Now the fan goes faster and faster and I don't know what to do about it. I have cleaned all fans in the XPS430 but this didn't help..Please let me know if you have a solution!

June 5th, 2011 16:00

I got a replacement power unit from DELL. So problem solved with that...

5 Posts

June 6th, 2011 15:00

In my case it is clearly not the power unit... it's the CPU processor cooling..

Thanks for your response!

No Events found!