Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 22:00

XPS 435 Owners Thread

The "Has anyone taken delivery" thread is getting out of control - and far more people there are not owners... SO how about this new and improved XPS 435 Owner's Thread!?  Instead of posting 15 updates a day about delayed orders, newest deals, etc, how about we start a thread dedicated to the owners of this machine, and also a place where future owners can ask technical or performance questions about the machine.  There are a good amount of owners here, so let's build a community!

Any takers?

19 Posts

June 20th, 2009 08:00

By the way, is anyone else's DVD-eject button very not sensitive?  I find it rarely responds to my pushing on the eject button, I always have to eject it through windows.  Should I get a replacement?

Also, is the built-in Ethernet controller the Realtek RTL81XX PCI-E ?

19 Posts

Well, after a late night, I was able to slipstream the Intel ICH10 drivers using NLite into the XP Boot CD.

I'm still happy with WinXP :)  When they come out with SP1 for Windows 7 I might upgrade.

212 Posts

I'm still happy with WinXP :)  When they come out with SP1 for Windows 7 I might upgrade.

Just curious.... How much time have you spent with Vista 64 on a machine with a minimum of 6GB of RAM?  

How much RAM did you get with your 435T?  Anything over 4 is a waste.

212 Posts

I only have 4 gb of RAM anyway, I'll wait until ram prices are a little cheaper before upgrading.  I've just never liked Vista, and no amount of argument is going to change my mind. :)

At least you have an open mind on the subject, this after taking in all the variables.  With 6GB kits of RAM coming in at $76 with discounts not too long ago, I dont know how you could get much cheaper (By the way, have you even made sure you're running in Triple- Channel mode?).  

Alas, you appear to have all your ducks in a row now, so no need to confound with contemplation.

19 Posts

June 20th, 2009 09:00

Thanks so much Irv, for the info about the front panel and the Realtek Ethernet controller.  I also have an XPS 435T, so your information is good.

I'll definitely open up the front and have a look.  Or maybe I'll just take it off entirely.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

June 20th, 2009 09:00

By the way, is anyone else's DVD-eject button very not sensitive?  I find it rarely responds to my pushing on the eject button, I always have to eject it through windows.  Should I get a replacement?

Also, is the built-in Ethernet controller the Realtek RTL81XX PCI-E ?

I had the a problem with my 435T when I first got it. The second DVD drive opened the minute I touched the top drive or the door below it. Sometimes during the burning or authoring (I use Nero 8) the drive opened up. Not a problem when it was authoring but in the middle of a burn I usually had a coaster. Called it in and the repair service came out with a new DVD R/W drive. Had been a Sony, new one was a TSST Corp.

Tech put it back in and it hardly opened from the front panel control. Really had to press on it hard and usually a few time. Tech said he'd put in a call to replace the unit. I believed him, don't know why, but after a week and no callback, I gave up. I took the front panel off and it appeared the linkage was 'free' and not binding and in positioned correctly. Put the panel back and it didn't change. Took it off again, this time all the way, disconnecting the panel light and again inspected the panel figuring it was the problem, the drive opened OK when I pressed its button. Could not see anything wrong. Reconnected the light, put the panel back, and it has been working fine since. Might want to inspect/remove/replace the panel?

My System Information and Device Manager says the h/w is "Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC".

Mind you, all the above is on a 435T. This thread is a mixture of 435T and 435MT messages.

Irv S.

20 Posts

June 20th, 2009 10:00

Hello all,

I have been following this forum since finding it while doing a search about not being able to use my Logitech illuminated keyboard. I do wish Dell would come up with a new BIOS for that.

As for the CD drives, I hated the doors over the drives so much that I removed the front and then removed the part that is over the drives. I then put the front back on. It looks a little bad but at least I can access the drives the way I want to.

19 Posts

June 20th, 2009 13:00

Thanks Irv.  I googled for Realtek WinXP 5.728 NIC/Gigabit Drivers, installed, and internet is working fine now.  Woohoo, thanks everyone. :)

89 Posts

June 20th, 2009 15:00

I'm in the US and my xps435t shipped with A09.  Shipped on the 15th of Jun.

the bios update is up now,good to go installed well!

I just checked on the Dell support/download website, entered my service tag, and it didn't show an updated bios newer than A07 which is what I currently have.

Searched for A09 and it showed up under another system, NOT the 435T. How should I go about this, should I update to A09?

93 Posts

June 20th, 2009 16:00

[quote user="j25"]I'm in the US and my xps435t shipped with A09.  Shipped on the 15th of Jun.

the bios update is up now,good to go installed well!

I just checked on the Dell support/download website, entered my service tag, and it didn't show an updated bios newer than A07 which is what I currently have.

Searched for A09 and it showed up under another system, NOT the 435T. How should I go about this, should I update to A09?

[/quote]

I wouldn't...

12 Posts

June 20th, 2009 22:00

when did you get your system? maybe they're still not ready to publicly release A09 for download on 435T..

89 Posts

June 20th, 2009 23:00

when did you get your system? maybe they're still not ready to publicly release A09 for download on 435T..

I got mine in May. I won't "change" the bios to A09. I can't say it's an update, as I don't know if it is supposed to work better. I searched more on the Dell site, and the A09 is not a newly released version, it's been around a while and is being used by many other systems. I'll wait till Dell puts it up as an update for the 435T. There's nothing wrong with A07 right now, my system is working fine, except for the long startup time. Even that, nobody knows if the bios is the problem...

59 Posts

June 21st, 2009 06:00

No! No! and once again, NO!   Why is everyone in such a rush to upgrade to the latest bios without researching what it actually fixes or addresses?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Wait and see what the bios upgrade actually fixes, see if it applies to issues you are having, THEN upgrade once its available.  I've never got the whole GOTTA UPGRADE as soon as a driver or firmware is released.  Newer doesn't always mean better.

59 Posts

June 21st, 2009 06:00

Interesting article comparing benchmarks/gaming between XP/Vista/Win 7 ... Vista 64 comes out on top in most of the meaningful benchmarks.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/gaming-smackdown-windows-xp-vs-windows-vista-vs-windows-7-604178

Thanks Irv.  I googled for Realtek WinXP 5.728 NIC/Gigabit Drivers, installed, and internet is working fine now.  Woohoo, thanks everyone. :)

89 Posts

June 21st, 2009 14:00

Thanks, I know.....see my previous post.....

No Events found!