Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2013 17:00

XPS 435T (aka 9000) Power Supply Pinout

I know that back in the early 2000 Dell was using a non-standard power supply pin out.  And I remember reading later that they were going back to standard because that was affecting sales.

The time has come to replace my power supply and I do not want to go by memory, so:

1. Can anyone tell me if the Dell XPS 435T (also known as the Dell Studio 9000) power supply pinout is the industry standard pinout?

2. And if not, can you explain the differences or provide a link to a diagram of the pin out?

Thank you very much.

- Keith

Keywords:  XPS435T XPS 435T   Dimension Studio 9000   pin out pinout 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 1st, 2013 18:00

KeithInMB

The Studio XPS 435T/9000 supports a standard ATX power supply, with an 24-pin, or 20+4-pin [PWR2] main motherboard and a [PWR1] EPS/ATX12V 8-pin, power connectors.

A power supply with five SATA power connectors, is needed.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-9000_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

4 Posts

July 31st, 2013 19:00

Hey Bev --

You seem pretty knowledgeable about this.  I just bought a Dell OptiPlex 9020 that came with a 290W  HiPro power supply.  The PSU had only two cables coming out of it:  a P1, which is an 8 pin connector with 1 green, 1 grey, 1 purple, 2 white, and 3 black wires; and a P2, which is a 4 pin going to the CPU power connector on the motherboard.  From what little I can find on the internet, I think P1 is a proprietary Dell configuration and not a traditional EPS, but I'm not sure.  Do you know what the pin-out is on the 8-pin connector?  Do you know if there's an adapter harness to get this thing to work with a regular ATX power supply?  Thanks so much!!

-- Chris

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2013 21:00

bamaraddoc

Chris,

Yep, it looks like the OptiPlex 9020 Mini Tower power supply is a Dell proprietary unit, due to it's wiring harness, as is the motherboard.

As far as I know there is not an adaptor available for the 8-pin power connector.

I have no idea of the pin-out of 8-pin connector, as Dell has never published the pin-outs of their proprietary PSU's and motherboards.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-9020-desktop_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

No Events found!