Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

July 19th, 2006 13:00

XPS 600 Dual Nvidia 7800 GTX

Help, I use dual monitors for my web site work. I understand from the users manual I can't use dual monitors with the dual 7800 GTX cards installed.

I'd love to be able to keep the speed that dual cards allow and still use dual monitors. Does anyone know of a work around for this situation? Could I disable the ports on the second video card? Surely there has to be a way?

Any help from tweakers out there would be appreciated. Currently I have one of the cards just sitting here on my desk...it's depressing and I know my husband's going to make me ebay it...

Please help, I want to have them both running and keep both monitors.

Leah Hallett

15 Posts

July 19th, 2006 14:00

Could I replace the second Dell 7800 card with a different brand/model that would work with dual monitors and dual 7800 cards??

Leah

1.7K Posts

July 23rd, 2006 01:00

a Matrox TripleHead2go  or a Matrox DuealHead2go might be what u r looking for as u can use both of your graphic cards in SLI and still have 2 monitors or even 3

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-22-200609:38 PM

2.6K Posts

July 24th, 2006 04:00

You just need to disable SLI for two or more monitors to work meaning you can use up tp four monitors. SLI disables multi-monitor support snd the only display that works is the primary.

15 Posts

July 24th, 2006 10:00

I forgot to say...the beta Nvidia 7800 GTX drivers for Vista have no options for disabling SLI.

15 Posts

July 24th, 2006 10:00

Thanks, but how do I disable SLI on a XPS 600? There isn't a BIOS option for it. Would removing the bridge installed between the cards work?

Also, I'm running Windows Vista Beta 2 Build 5384.

Leah

2.6K Posts

July 24th, 2006 11:00

Well no help from me but I know nVidia is working on those issues with vista so I'd just keep ckecking for new beta drivers from nVidia. I did a quick search and I did not find anyone else having mush luck with two cards and multi-monitor's yet. You could always go back to XP.

2 Intern

• 

287 Posts

July 24th, 2006 13:00

or, you could just get a really big monitor, like me..

15 Posts

Well, I just installed the Win XP Nvidia 91.33 driver in Vista setup...it appeared to not work, screen went black and would flicker. I let it go for several minutes and then hit the enter key (screen still blackish) and the computer rebooted. After the reboot the Nvidia desktop manager was in the control panel and it was functioning. I looked for the disable SLI feature but it wasnt' there...I figured that was because I only had one card installed.

I opened the case and re-installed the second 7800 GTX card. I left both monitors plugged into single(primary) card I had previously installed as a single card.

Rebooted and I got a dialog box saying windows was going to disable my incompatible video card. Went into device manager and the second card had the microsoft driver associated with it. I updated the driver to the 91.33 XP driver and rebooted. After the reboot it shows both 7800 video cards enabled and what's even better is both monitors are still working.

I went back to the nView Desktop Manager and I still don't have an option to disable SLI?? I went through every tab in the dialog box and it's not there.

Could anyone confirm which tab in the NView Desktop Manager on your system shows the option to disable SLI?

I'm now looking online for a video speed tester to see if I am actually using both cards...something tells me this is too good to be true.

Also, device manager now shows six different monitors! I disabled all but the two I'm using...

Anybody know of a quick easy way to tell if I'm actually using both video cards?

Leah

15 Posts

The first line in my last post should have read:

I just installed the Win XP Nvidia 91.33 driver in my Windows Vista setup...

(It's not suppose to be compatible)

15 Posts

Oh, I ran the Nvidia 91.33 driver in Windows XP service pack 2 compatibility mode.

(Right click on the file, choose properties then compatibility)

15 Posts

July 24th, 2006 14:00

Ha! You are correct...

I have a 21" widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 215TW and a 19" NEC Multisync FP912.

The problem is, my desk has an opening that wouldn't fit a monitor much bigger than the 21" widescreen and the crucial problem...I don't have the $$$$ required for a huge display!!

Leah

2 Intern

• 

287 Posts

July 27th, 2006 01:00

i see...

No Events found!