This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 15th, 2008 21:00

XPS 630 HDD LED blinking all the time

Post the following -
* Is windows indexing turned off (Y/N)
* What other troubleshooting have you tried?

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

190 Posts

May 15th, 2008 22:00

Chris,

Indexing is NOT running on my system.  The HDD light flashes constantly.  I cannot hear the drive spinning so I assume it is not being accessed, however I have never owned a computer where the HDD light flashes constantly.  I'm talking about 6 previous Dell's, an HP, and two builds. 

As for other troubleshooting, I've tried killing processes one at a time to see if any of them were accessing the HDD.  I have noticed no difference. 

It would be nice if we can get a straight answer on this issue.  Is it normal or not?  If it's normal, an explanation would be in order as to why the light flashes unlike all other computers. 

Thank You

165 Posts

May 15th, 2008 23:00

I am in the same position, the light flashes intermitantly and I've switched indexing off and systematically been through my prossess to try and find what is interacting with the drives, but still there seems to be activity. I am concerned the drive is always spinning which is both a waste of power and reducing the drives life considerably.

For your info:

XPS630i

Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz

2 x nVidia 8800GTs in SLI

2 x 320Gb 7200rpm HDD (in a RAID Stripe)

X-Fi Soundcard

18 Posts

May 15th, 2008 23:00

what is indexing?

My hard drive is incrediably slow....but I haven't had time to look into it yet.

190 Posts

May 16th, 2008 00:00

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms689718.aspx

I have mine turned off.  It's a little tricky sometimes to stop.  I had a problem on another computer with it starting itself again after reboot.  If you have trouble shutting it down, post here and I'll go through a step by step.

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

May 16th, 2008 00:00

I posted this issue about a week ago here.

I have the WD Raptor

Running BIOS 1.0.4

I have disabled the indexing service

Uninstalled Antivirus

Installed Diskmon - if you minimize it to the tray it will blink when the hard drive is being used. But I noticed the XPS 630i lights up more often then the Diskmon light. That tells me that most likely this is some BIOS phenomenom or something related to the motherboard. It doesn't appear the HD is being accessed. 

74 Posts

May 16th, 2008 02:00

The HDD LED on my 630i has blinked continuously since I first received it.  I have not turned Windows indexing on or off so it should be like it was shipped from Dell.  I also do not have the 100% fan issue but I have not overclocked the system.  I have changed the color of the front LED's.

70 Posts

May 16th, 2008 06:00

Come to think of it, this has been happening with my XPS 720 H2C as well. Any commonality? What should we be worried about.
Message Edited by omnious on 05-16-2008 12:05 PM

165 Posts

May 16th, 2008 09:00

I have a theory.... I think the HDD light is plugged into - thats right - the Master I/O board of 100%/unadjustable/wierd lighting fame. I havent been able to verify this yet as I'm busy with exams today. If anyone gets a chance to pop the cover and track the HDD LED wire back to source can you let us know what you find. My spidey sense is telling me its the master I/O board which appears to be a law unto itself.

190 Posts

May 16th, 2008 10:00

Davet,

That is interesting, but it's not what's causing the problem.  I'm running XP and have the same issue.

14.4K Posts

May 16th, 2008 10:00

All

I found this on the Vista board posted by an extremely reliable source..

I have posted to get a reference link. this could be the best explanation yet...

Did you know that Vista defrags all drives automatically by default, if the PC is left on and is not being used.

Message Edited by mombodog on 05-15-2008 07:35 PM

Message Edited by Davet50 on 05-16-2008 07:49 AM

287 Posts

May 16th, 2008 12:00

IMHO it's got to be a hardware fault with the MIO, my reasoning:

When I first recieved my 630 I did notice the HD lignt was constantly on, I knew about the indexing in vista so assumed it was that and after a while it did settle down to the "Heart Beat" affect (flashing every second or so).

Then I experienced the "Jet enging in a wind tunnel" joy.

Now: I've downloaded and flashed my MIO with the firmware made available by xponentia, temporarily fixing my fans but the constant HD light is BACK!

Hope this info helps the top notch techs.

Message Edited by billybigfoot on 05-16-2008 02:03 PM

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

All,

* Power off the PC
* Unplug the PC power cord
* Open the case cover
* Disconnect the power supply cord going into the Master I/O board
* Reconnect the PC power cord
* Power the PC on
* Does HDD LED blink all the time?
* Power the PC off
* Reconnect all of the Master I/O cabling
* Close it up and use as normal

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

@Davet50 wrote:

All

I found this on the Vista board posted by an extremely reliable source..

I have posted to get a reference link. this could be the best explanation yet...

Did you know that Vista defrags all drives automatically by default, if the PC is left on and is not being used.

Message Edited by mombodog on 05-15-2008 07:35 PM

Message Edited by Davet50 on 05-16-2008 07:49 AM

I am running XP as well - as I see are most of the people responding to this topic.

74 Posts

May 16th, 2008 14:00

Chris I followed your steps and with the power supply cord to the Master I/O board disconnected the HDD (Power Light) is on solid.  Returning everything to normal the blinking HDD light has returned although it did stay on solid for approximately 5+ minutes prior to starting to flash again.

John

190 Posts

May 16th, 2008 21:00

@Anonymous-Chris_M wrote:
All,

* Power off the PC
* Open the case cover
* Disconnect the power supply cord going into the Master I/O board
* Reconnect the PC power cord
* Power the PC on
* Does HDD LED blink all the time?
* Power the PC off
* Reconnect all of the Master I/O cabling
* Close it up and use as normal

Is this an absolute fix or are we becoming a Dell testing ground again for the faulty I/O board?
No Events found!