Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2010 14:00

XPS 700 Motherboard Upgrade

Hi all ... I have an XPS 700 which has just died and I'm sure from all I've read, it's the motherboard. This is a well documented problem and I understand Dell has basically turned their back on the owners. Of course, my 700 is out of warranty, so Dell will do nothing. I say they turned their back because they've done nothing to help those of us who need a new motherboard and missed out on the exchange program. I've checked the Dell website, there are no listings for the motherboard p/n's and if there were, I'm not sure I would pay the Dell price.

Obviously I'm not happy with Dell, but want to move on.  I've done a lot of research on the web, I realize there is about a 0% chance of finding a Dell replacement and even if I could I've seen a few reports of problems with the updated 720 kits.

I have no interest in attempting a conversion from the BTX to ATX form factor.  I would like to find a BTX full style motherboard to replace the Dell unit.  Does anyone know if there has ever been a BTX style board which will work with an E6400 processor made by any vendor?  I found a motherboard, Intel D955XCS, which is almost a direct physical drop in for the XPS 700 case, but I'm not sure if it supports the E6400 CPU.

I realize I would need to do some rewiring and I would loose some of the functionality of the case, but I don't see that as a problem.  There seems to be pin-out info for the Dell PSU and a new motherboard should have similar info.  I've looked on a few moder websites and I think plugs and connectors could be located.

Can anyone offer any information about a BTX board that might be suitable?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 7th, 2010 15:00

With the Dell proprietary and undocumented front panel connector it would be hard to get a retail motherboard connected and working.  Since the front panel connector is not documented you would have to trace out all the wires and then wire in standard ATX style connectors.  

It's possible to use a retail motherboard but not very probable. 

Most that want to use a Retail motherboard (in any Dell with the proprietary and undocumented front panel connection) just bite the bullet and buy a retail ATX motherboard and case and reuse what parts they can from the Dell.  You will also need a new/Retail copy of Windows as the Dell supplied Windows OS disc will only install on a Dell motherboard. and you will have to do a complete reinstall with a new (different hardware) motherboard.

14.4K Posts

November 7th, 2010 16:00

Well to further burst your bubble not only would you need a new board, front panel i/o assembly, rear case bezel, a new copy of windows but you will also need a new power supply as well as the current one will only work with the 700/710/720 boards.

Best options would be to build your own, or buy a new system.

Truly it is a shame that Dell missed the boat with these systems as the cases are really good for ventilation and if they had not been lead down the wrong path by Intel with regards to the BTX design these might have been great systems.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 8th, 2010 03:00

Dave, my Dimension E510 is in the same BTX boat.    However, it isn't just Dell; one of my clients has a Gateway that is BTX (and I'll be getting it in to refurbish later this week).

No Events found!