Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 30th, 2012 04:00

XPS 700 RAM Memory

I had a chat with a DELL support person a while ago about upgrading my RAM memory from 2GB to 8GB

and also increasing the Mhz to 800. They said that it wouldn't be a problem with the motherboard that I have.

Having purchased the extra RAM and fitting it it doesn't work I noe have a 1GB in the DIMM1 slot and a 2GB

in the DIMM2 slot. Putting a 2GB in the DIMM1 slot gives me beeps 1-3-2. Is it possible to fit all 4 2GB sticks

somehow?

Regards

Nigel

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 30th, 2012 10:00

1-3-2 is a RAM error.

The documentation says it should support 2GB in each slot, up to a total of 8GB. Unfortunately, some brands of RAM aren't compatible with Dell PCs, even when all the specs are correct. RAM from crucial.com is typically compatible with Dell PCs (or they take it back) but they're only offering 1GB modules for this model.

Are you sure you're putting the modules in the right slots? Slots 1 and 2 should have the same color retention clips, but slot 2 is not next to slot 1. The one next to slot 1 is slot 3.

Did you try all of the 2GB modules in slot 1, in case one of them is bad? If you have 1GB in slot 1 and 2 GB in slot 2, they're not a matched pair so you lose the advantages of DDR2 RAM.

It's also possible you have a bad motherboard slot...

BTW: Unless you're using a 64-bit version of Windows, it's not going to see/use more than ~3.2-3.5GB of RAM, no matter how much you install.

8 Posts

March 30th, 2012 12:00

Thanks for such a speedy answer. I am running Windows 7 32Bit so as you say that is a problem. Have you any idea why the 2GB stick will work in slot 2 but not slot 1 this puzzles me

14.4K Posts

March 30th, 2012 13:00

I doubt that you will get it to work. that series of boards has a very weak memory controller. Votltage is critical and must be kept below 2.0v when populating all four slots.  Even on my old 720 I had to have OCZ write special SPD's(which are the small programs that resided in the ram sticks  themselves) in order to get 8 gigs to run and the 720 has a vastly differnt chipset then the 700 has.  ALso all of the MUST BE MATCHED, and come from the same batch. Even the slightest differnce in the sticks will cause issues. IT was just one of th problems with the 700-720 series boards.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 30th, 2012 16:00

Can you return the 4x2GB and get 2x1GB to add to your existing 2x1GB of RAM? That gives you 4GB, keeping in mind that  Windows 7 won't even see all 4GB  unless you upgrade to the 64-bit version.

What Dave50 said might explain why Crucial only offers 1GB modules for this system even though Dell's documentation claims you can use a 2GB module in each slot.

8 Posts

March 31st, 2012 10:00

After your advice I have put the 2x 1GB sticks in slots 1 & 2 and the 2x 2GB sticks in 3 & 4 and it shows me I have 6GB and only 3GB usable memory how much memory do you think I acually have at my disposal?

14.4K Posts

March 31st, 2012 10:00

3 gig. no matter how much memory you actually have a 32 bit system can only access 4 gigs max. so anything over that is not being used. To access it all you need to run a 64 bit system.

Good to see though that you at least have it all being recognized.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 31st, 2012 11:00

3 gig. no matter how much memory you actually have a 32 bit system can only access 4 gigs max. so anything over that is not being used. To access it all you need to run a 64 bit system.

Good to see though that you at least have it all being recognized.

I agree with Dave...

1 Message

July 18th, 2014 07:00

I was aware of the 3Gb usable limit and previous posts suggest that the extra memory will simply be ignored . I found that when I installed the 4th 1Gb Dimm that the system did not like it at all and I had to physically remove the 4th Dimm .  I should perhaps try again since perfoming a recent Bios upgrade and I am thinking about going the 64bit OS route as I am also upgrading the CPU to QX6800

14.4K Posts

July 18th, 2014 09:00

If my memory serves be correctly the 700 will not take the  QX6800 you need a  710/720 motherboard for that processor.

These systems are extremely finicky with populating all four ram slots. The biggest factor you MUST observe is keeping the supply voltage at or under 1.8V 

No Events found!