Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2009 14:00

XPS 720 "previous fan failure" and "card-cage fan failure"

I upgraded my processor from a Pentium D to a Core 2 Duo 6850 and the memory to 2 x 2GB of those huge OCZ Reaper modules. The processor runs @ 1333MHz and memory @ 1066MHz, just as expected. Now, when the system starts, I get the above messages and I have to press F1 to continue. All fans in my system are working fine: Main case fan, processor fan, hard drive fan and the little fan on my Nvidia 8600. What is the BIOS looking for? It switched to EPP mode automatically once I installed the new components. Is it now looking for more cooling options? I don't have a "card-cage"! The system is working fine, there are no temperature issues at all, I can play any games I want - but I cannot get rid of the error messages at startup! Any ideas? THANKS!

14.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2009 16:00

You may need to do a CMOS reset

to clear the board from the new processor. Note that this will revert all your bios settings to factory defaults so you might want to check the setting before you do the reset.

Yes you do have a card cage fan it is between the hard drives.

17 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 17:00

That did it! Thank you so much for this solution!

While I still don't understand what the disk fan has to do with the new processor, I'm very pleased that the errors have been cleared. I still had to re-enable EPP to switch the memory from 800 to 1066MHz. I noticed you have your memory running at 800MHz. May I ask why? Do you use 4 x 1GB ? But you are also using the Reapers...

Why are they calling it "card-cage fan" ? I thought it had something to do with the PCI cards. Apparently not. Good learning experience!

Well, thanks again!

14.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2009 19:00

Since you made a fairly large processor change it is really not all that surprising. Remember the cmos controls a lot of motherboard functions.

I did not buy EPP memory as i am running over 4 gigs and to get memory over that it gets a bit pricey and it is a bit touchy with this motherboard. I am just as happy with the 8 gigs at 800 as I was with 4 at 1066. I do like the reapers though and had the i gig version as well as the 2 gig stick now.

Technically since the fan sits in between the hard drive cages it can be called a card cage fan as it functions very similar

Anyways glad you are fixed and to have helped.

17 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 23:00

Unfortunately, my system is wrecked now. Hard drive became inaccessible and all fans blow at max. No idea what's going on. I started a new thread.

10 Posts

April 5th, 2011 10:00

Did you resolve the hard drive issue?

No Events found!