Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

January 19th, 2010 12:00

XPS 720 upgrade from non-raid to raid 0 problem

My system: xps 720, 8gig ram nvidia gtx295 and (1)250gig hd. Hopefully soon (2)WD caviar black 640gig hd in raid 0

Ok i am updating teh software from vista home premium to windows 7 ultimate 64bit as well.

When I load the new drives into the machine i set the bios for them to be raid enables, then cnt-n for raid menu and set rthem as stripped set and bootable. When I try to load the original Dell vista disk or the windows 7 upgrade it cant see the drives. Do i need some special driver or certain initializing/formatting on the drives before i try loading. i.e.: these drives were bare and not initialized, partitioned, formatted. And finally will wiondows 7 have any issues with this as a bare bones installation?

Any help is appreciated.  I am looking to get this done asap as i am moving soon and dont want the system torn apart as well as moving fropm state to state.

Thx

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 19th, 2010 15:00

Don't have a specific answer to your problem, but do you really want a RAID 0 setup? RAID 0 stores bits and pieces of each file on the 2 drives. WIth RAID 0, if one hard drive fails, you lose everything on BOTH drives.

You might be better off with RAID 1, in which case each drive is an exact copy of the other. So if one drive fails your files are still intact and safe on the other one.

My 2-cents...

Ron

No Events found!