Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 24th, 2008 21:00

XPS 730 Specifications

Processor type Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Quad, Intel Core 2 Extreme
Cooling Passive thermal cooling or Next Generation Two-Stage Liquid Cooling (H2C)
Chipset NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI
Memory Type DDR3 1066MHz and faster, Min / Max 1 GB to 8 GB (four slots)
Storage 6-channel SATA-II 3.0 Gb/s, 1-channel IDE, 1-channel internal eSATA
RAID Spanning Disks, RAID 0 Stripe, RAID 1 Mirror, RAID 0+1 (customer configurable), RAID 5 (customer configurable)
Bays Four 5.25-inch, Two 3.5-inch, Four hard drive bays
Network Dual Nvidia Giga-bit Ethernet
Audio Realtek 888 HDA 7.1 channel, Sound Blaster X-Fi
Bus slots/type Two PCIe x16 Generation 2, One PCIe Express x16 Generation 1, One PCIe x1, Two PCI
Graphics Dual SLI Nvidia 9800 GX2, ATi Crossfire ready, 3-way support (requires additional HW). The system will support 3-way if you had the right bridge, power adapters etc. It is physically capable of doing so. Service is aware and documentation exists that explains how to enable this, but, at this time, it would require you to buy and install third party hardware. That is something service does not suppport. We will not ship any 3-way configs with current cards, but we are looking carefully at supporting 3-way on upcoming video cards
Can I mix and match graphics cards for SLI?
In order to provide optimal symmetric scaling, SLI technology requires the NVIDIA GPUs to match. For example, a GeForce 7800 GTX must be paired with another GeForce 7800 GTX. Likewise, a GeForce 6600 GT must be paired with another GeForce 6600 GT. However, using the latest Release 80 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA GPUs sold by different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor ABC can be matched with a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor XYZ
Can I mix and match graphics cards if one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?
Yes. A GeForce 7800 GTX that is overclocked (for example BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC) can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce 7800 GTX
Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
While it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer this flexibility using Coolbits. When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. For example, if your first card is a GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory, you should purchase a second GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory. However, using Coolbits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using Coolbits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the two memory sizes
I/O USB 2.0: Two front, six back, four internal; Legacy: Two PS/2; 1394a: Integrated front and back; Internal S/PDIF; One external eSATA
Operating Systems Windows Vista Home, Windows Vista Premium, Windows Vista Ultimate (32/64), Windows Vista Business, Windows XP Media Center 2005
Power Supply 1KW EPA
Chassis ATX form factor
Overclocking The BIOS in the XPS 730 is unlocked for control of system voltages, clock and bus speeds
Pre-boot Assessment An integrated low-level hardware diagnostics stored in BIOS. It is designed to run before the 32-bit Dell Diagnostics. The PSA will run a low-level check of the following hardware devices: System board, Keyboard controller, Hard Drive controller, Display, Memory

HDMI Audio
The XPS 730 supports digital audio through a internal HDMI header on the system board. Some video cards with HDMI connections like the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 can take advantage of this feature. With the Creative X-Fi sound card installed, the XPS 730 supports digital audio through internal HDMI to the X-Fi card and the X-Fi card has another cable for the front audio connection. The internal HDMI digital audio signal will be pass along with the video to the HDMI connector on a compatible video card or integrated HDMI connector. The internal HDMI audio must be enabled in system setup through the Onboard Audio option. The settings are:
Enabled - Enables both the integrated audio speaker connectors and system board HMDI connection
HDMI Only - Enables only the system board HDMI audio connection (internal system board header)
Off - Disables both the integrated audio speaker connectors and system board HMDI connection. Expansion audio cards will function properly.
If set to Off, the internal HDMI header is disabled along with the external audio connections.

Motherboard picture
Owner's Manual <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
Drivers XP
Drivers Vista 32bit
Drivers Vista 64bit

Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 05-24-2008 05:40 PM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

3 Posts

April 26th, 2012 22:00

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but here i go.

i have a dell xps 730 and it wont start up. when i turn it on all of the fans start working really hard and loud and the computer start doing beep sounds and i also notice that the motherboard letter reads fb instead of ff which is what it says when its normally working. also when i connect the monitor it says that it has no signal.

i didnt turn on the computer for like a year and it was all dusted. i already brake it apart and clean it and still nothing.

ill appreciate if some advice to try to fix it before take in it to the tech. thank you.

1 Message

April 7th, 2014 16:00

I have one with the same problem. I am working on diagnosing it. Have you fixed yours yet?

9 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 14:00

I have one that is also experiencing the same problem. It is a hand me down from my sister. When I opened it up, I thought I had just opened a vacuum bag! It was packed with dust. After  thorough vacuuming and pressurized air cleaning, I tried powering it up. All systems appeared to be working, but no video output. I tried a different video board, still nothing. After numerous attempted restarts, I did get a startup screen on the monitor, but it froze almost immediately.

I booted into the F12 utility and rand the system diagnostics. It came up with a memory error. I removed all 4GB of member (4 1GB modules) and tried a reboot with only one module. Everything works! If I add any more memory, it stops. So I'm updating all of the anti-virus, anti-spyware and the utilities while I can. Then I'll try more memory. (All of the modules tested OK when running the memory test individually.)

That's as far as I have gotten.

No Events found!