Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

38 Posts

December 26th, 2008 09:00

ok so I will expect the XFI Titanium.

Thank you.

37 Posts

December 27th, 2008 19:00

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place, but I’m considering a XPS 730x, and this seemed like the best place to ask about them.  I have searched the Dell website for answers, I have tried the “Live Chat” thing, (which didn’t work) I even emailed Dell, thinking that they would answer questions about a $2000+ system I wished to buy-HA to me!  They sent back an automated response saying they didn’t answer pre sales questions.  I almost wanted to say I’d take my money elsewhere, but I already fell in love with the 730x, and it would be my 3rd Dell.

Jsimon, I read in a review of the 730X that yes, the cool stuff-turtle headphones, hat so on so on only come with the H2C models.  That bums me out, I hope to at least get that mouse pad!  For the system I’m picking, I’m going with the cheaper i7-920, I can always upgrade the processor later, but I also thought those headphones looked neat.

I have a few questions if anyone could help-please don’t laugh, they seem very blonde.

The Tri-Channel DDR3 memory.  I just don’t get it, I understand this is new and better than dual channel-duh, but what if any are the future upgrade options?  For the system I am buying, I am going with the 6GB option, is this the most the system will ever support?  I know Chris tried to explain this very early in the thread, but I still didn’t get it.  Is 6GB of Tri-Channel DDR3 memory like equal to more than dual channel memory?  Is it like 18 GB of memory?  I know I know, but I just don’t get it.  Can more memory ever be added to this system?

My other question is even blonder.

I am going to order the Hauppauge HVR 1250 hybrid TV Tuner with the system, I know this part is analog/digital, but what will happen to it after Feb. 2009 when the TV signal switches to digital, will this part be halfway useless?  Will it need/is it possible to hook up a converter box to a computer?  Is this the most stupid idea in history?     I do not watch TV much, so I don’t have digital cable, so it seems a big headache to even mess with this, but the concept seems perfect for me.

Go ahead laugh at me, LOL.

Thanks in advance,

Kendra

38 Posts

Hey Kendra,

Dont worry about the questions and how good they are :)

I can answer the first question for you

1. The system comes with a motherboard that has 3 memory slots  and if you pick the 6gb option it means it comes with 3 sticks of memory that are 2gb each. It does not mean you cannot upgrade BUT you would have to find sticks that are more than 2GB each. I.E. you would have to get 3 sticks that are 4gb each to get a total of 12gb ram. I think that is the limitation some are concerned about with the motherboard since 4gb sticks are WAY more expensive than any 2gb sticks. I am also getting the 6gb option and if I really need more I will upgrade the motherboard it comes with.

Triple channel refers to the effective bandwidth of the memory. You can get more performance when running a triple channel system as compared to dual.

I am not too sure on your second question as I watch tv like a normal person with DVR :p

Cheers

37 Posts

sorry my post was sooooooooo big, I tried typing it in the forum three times, and the forum kept losing it, so I wrote it and copied and pasted from somewhere else.

Kendra

37 Posts

December 27th, 2008 20:00

Ahhh! thanks!  I was hoping the memory was something like that, I'd hate to think a low end system (like I picked) would be maxed out on memory before I even got it out of the box!

With a new computer that has 6GB memory, which is double what I have now, I will be happy for a few years with it.  Then hopefully the 4GB sticks will come down in price and I can upgrade later.  I plan to update the processor, add another video card also in the years to come.  Your brave, I've never attempted a motherboard upgrade, that seems scary.  I'm also hopefull that what I read about the whole 730x series coming with a standart 1kW power supply is accurate, I have upgraded a power supply before in a Dell Dimension, and it was no walk in the park, and for the upgrades I hope to do on this computer, I would think it would need lots of power.

LOL I used to be a normal person with a DVR, but now I'm just an analog person  :)

Thanks for your answers, hope your system arrives soon.

Kendra

22 Posts

December 27th, 2008 21:00

Btw, there are a few upgrades that will be available. Yes you could buy 4GB sticks in the future but the best point is that you'll be able to buy better faster DDR3 ram with lower latency! The ram that is being sold (1066) is actually the slowest available for DDR3. When prices godown you can buy faster DDR3 ram (at 1800 or more) with lower latency at a good price that will blow the ram you have away. Also, the westmere processor is in the making to be released in 2010 I believe which is a 6 core processor with 24MB cache memory that will be available in the same socket size as the current core i7. I doubt that you'l need a newer motherboard. Really, from what I know this motherboard can handle Overclocking pretty well so you should be good to go for a while.

22 Posts

yeah, I thought of the upgrades I could do. With 1KW power supply youu aren't short of anything. You can add Western Velociraptor Hard drives which are blazing fast but too expensive right now. you can upgrade the memory not just in terms of amount 6gb or 12 gb but also get faster memory (one that runs at 1800 or more vs 1066). DDR3 is very very expensive right now so I guess that's why dell chose the 1066 as it allows them to keep prices decent on the lower end models though they should have the option for those that want to max it out. And no, 6GB DDR3 is not like more DDR2 memory, it just works better in some instances (though right now DDR2 is a way better bang for your buck!).  When the prices go down for high speed low latency DDR3 then yes it will kick DDR2. 

38 Posts

I think you will be fine for a while, only certain users really need more than the ram you are getting.

Motherboard install is not that bad its more about doing the right research to make sure all your components are compatble.

I think the power supply should be fine for you as well.

Gluck to you :)

Alberto

30 Posts

December 28th, 2008 01:00

Hi all,

I needed a faster system than my xps410 Q6600.  First, I increased the ram to 4gigs, and a 512 video card, but that did not fix the problem.  I design high end physics animations and my computer was failing the complexity I was getting into; the solution, a new faster computer.  Because I have credit with Dell I chose the Dell xps730x, then I research every component for weeks before buying the system.  I order my xps730x, i7-940; 6gigs ram; 2048 video ram; air cooled system, with two 24" monitors, and other extras on Nov. 22, 08, and was told it would ship Jan. 20, 09, but it came on Dec. 11, 08; I was very happy.  It was the biggest computer box I have ever seen...

I was excited, I have always had to buy middle of the road computers because of cost restrictions imposed by my wife 'mean woman'  mean mean mean.  But after witnessing my frustration, and with so much on the line in my work, she agreed to let me buy the best.  I thought it would be the xps730x.  I spent two days taking apart my office and installed the 730 in a air condition vault under my desk.  Three days after getting it, I turned it on... and it did not work!  Excitement tuned into fear, it did not work.  I called Dell tech and spent the next ten days dealing with techs that did not seem to know what they were doing.  I learned the meaning of DELL !!!  I asked them to replace it with a system that worked, but instead they put a new Mother board in it.  I was very unhappy; paying five thousand $ for a system that had to be repaired out of the box.  I wanted a new system that worked out of the box, not a system that had to be repaired and still has issues in performance. 

At one point Dell told me to hire my own tech to fix the problems; I was outraged and tried to get hold of Dell corporate headquarters, but was unable to find them.  I called every Dell number they have and asked for the corporate headquarters phone number, but no one knew it.  Having no recourse I resorted back to hours on hold with Dell tech.  After almost two weeks experience with Indian accents and being passed on from tech to tech, I blew.  I told the Indian representative not to pass me on to another, I begged, but they passed me on anyway with a 'Thanks for choosing Dell' statement.  When the next Indian representative came on line I stated that they must not like American's, treating us as cattle passing us on from one queue to another, lying about where they were sending us, and patronizing us with pleasantries; that American's were learning not to like Indian's from the way they were treating us.  I was really mad.  Of course, the representative said, 'I understand your frustration... thank you for choosing Dell' and passed me on to another Indian tech representative queue hold. 

Finally, after almost three weeks of not having a working computer, Dell techs managed to use remote connection and fixed most of the problems; but I still had a few remaining that no one seemed to know how to fix.  I have bought three microphones, none worked right, hardly no volume. ???

I do not feel comfortable with... or trust my new computer; I feel like I got a broken system, and the grand dreams I had of a super computer have been dashed.  I am sicken by what Dell has become.  However, I ultimately took Dell's advice and hiring a local computer tech to fix the remaining issues.  Now it's faster than anything I ever seen, I am semi happy, it's just I don't trust my computer or Dell; that's no way to buy a new computer.  Dell made thousands from me, and I got a computer that I do not trust.  Once they made the sell, I was old unwanted business, I got the impression that Dell does not like its customers... it's almost like they hate us or something!

Sincerely, Mark Maloney; Spokane, Washington, United States of America

Epluribusunum56@comcast.net

38 Posts

December 28th, 2008 05:00

I am sorry to hear your experience.

I hope I dont have the same issues. I am fairly techy so I should be able to fix them but I am not sure why that would be teh case as I am paying them money and can definilitely understand your frustration. One of the reasons I went with Dell on this is so that I did not have to worry about the troubleshooting and fixing. Otherwise I would have built my own.

37 Posts

December 28th, 2008 21:00

Thanks everyone for the answers, I feel better about the memory, I was confused.  I techie friend of mine talked me into going back down to 3GB of memory, and go to the middle processor instead of the low end one, this should be a pretty sweet system!  Especially with 25% off.

Have a great New Years everyone!

Kendra

54 Posts

December 29th, 2008 08:00

As I have had my share of problems that I have outlined within this forum in previous posts, I will report that the final XPS 730X I have received works very well.  I is very stable and very very fast, and I now am now really enjoying having this computer.  I am still trying to get my warranty extended as I burnt months of warranty waiting on a computer that would work, but to say that Dell is not too keen on this idea would be an understatement.

Intel® Core™ i7-940
6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ
ATI Radeon HD4870X2 2048MB
300GB Western Digital Velociraptor
2 - 24 inch 2408WFP Ultrasharp

38 Posts

December 29th, 2008 08:00

I am glad to hear your problems did get resolved and I certainly hope that when my machine arrives I get a working setup.

This is the first time I splurge on a prebuilt box from any company and I dont want my experience to be jaded by not proper testing.

That brings up a question I have. Do they do any type of testing prior to shipping to make sure it works? I mean in my opinion for gaming machines like these I would imagine they would do somet type of testing. Run a game, run applications. let it run for at least 24 hours type thing. I am not sure Dell does this but I know a lot of niche computer companies do a gammut of testing to their enthusiast boxes.

37 Posts

December 29th, 2008 09:00

Wouldn't that be a great job to have? Play PC games to check out computer systems?

Kinda like a quality control agent/taste tester for Krispy Kreme Doughnuts!

37 Posts

December 29th, 2008 09:00

Wouldn't that be a great job to have? Play PC games to check out computer systems?

Kinda like a quality control agent/taste tester for Krispy Kreme Doughnuts!

Kendra

No Events found!