Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

May 29th, 2009 00:00

Hello, I am interested in overclocking my i7 940 air cooled 730x.

I have NO knowledge of over clocking and was looking to start and was hoping if someone could post some settings or things i can do to start overlcocking my i7 940.

I see many setting in BIOS but i do not want to touch anything at the moment seeing as how i do not have any knowledge of what is what. I have read thru all the posts but many are running a H2C system. So i was hoping for some setting on a air cooled 940 if possible, or just a little help.

Thanks to everyone also for there help on prevoius questions and thanks also for the advice and knowledge found on this thread it has been really helpfull!

One last thing, my bios is 1.0.0, should i upgread to 1.0.2? just curious if i should, has anything changed that you know of?

look back 10 or so posts.

30 Posts

May 29th, 2009 19:00

ok well i looked around regarding overclocking the 730x i7 940 air cooled system. I actually seen a youtube video from a dell tech and also on a few forums about what needs to be adjusted in BIOS, problem is the parts i seen in the video are not options in my BIOS 1.0.2

In the video he states to adjust the CORE CPU 1, 2, 3, and 4 to 24 or 26? for all 4 cores, but i do not have the option to do that? is this because mine is the i7 940 and not the overclocked model?

Anyways, the only setting i changed was BClK and i set that to 160 ( it was at 133 ) my system now reports at 3.46 ghz with temps at 33c-35c

Now is that all i needed to do? or is there something else that needs to be set? Also, do i remain with the 6gb of Dells ram? or should i go with something better like corsair dominator?  or is there another you suggest?

Before i do anything more though, i want to make sure i adjusted the correct setting and there is nothing else more i need or can do? and if adding the better ram would do anything or make any difference?

I am sorry it just seemed to easy or that i am missing something here, so best to check with the experts out here.

thanks

30 Posts

May 30th, 2009 11:00

ok after reading many posts on this forum and others i decided to try and over clock my air cooled it 940 730x

Here are my BIOS settings, I was hoping that someone could confirm that i did everything correctly? or if something needs to be changed and or adjusted?

BIOS ( newest 1.0.2 ) and i set everything to the following.

Currently running at 3.52 ghz 160x22

I am hoping someone could possibly let me know if i did everything correct or if there is something that needs to be changed or adjusted. Everything is STOCK in the 730x at the moment, running a air cooled i7 940 with 6gb DDR3 ram ( from dell )

Please reply with something that i may have not done right, need to do or if everything looks correct? My idle temps are 31c-34c and under load around 43c-50c ( using RealTemp)

settings are as follows...

XD Bit Compatibility Enabled
Speed Step Disabled
C-State Tech Disabled

QPI Frequency Auto
Memory Ratio Auto
CPU CORE ( non turbo ) 22 ( I can go lower, but not any higher )
BCIK 160
Speed Spectrum Enabled
Adjust PCI Frequency Auto
Adjust PCI-E Frequency Auto
Intel Turbo Mode Tech Enabled ( grayed out, cannot select it, but it says enabled )
Dynamic CPU Vcore offset +80mv
DDR3 Memory voltage Auto
IOH Voltage 1.10v
QPI and Uncore Voltage Default

30 Posts

May 30th, 2009 12:00

I also had a question about hard drive mounting inside the 730x  I installed another 500gb WD hard drive and i notice that you slide out the black plastic ( hard drive adapter? or whatvever it is? ) and then you pop the drive in and you screw in the 2 screws in on each side and then slide it back in until it snaps.

I noticed though with the screws is that, there are no threads on the screws at the bottom of the screw ( the part that screws into the hard drive itself ) that there are only threads on the upper part of the screw ( that screw into the black plastic hard drive holder ) so, is the hard drive secure this way? i want to upgreade to 10,000 rpm dirve but want to make sure the hard drive will be secured good, it just seems that the screws do not really tight down into the hard drive at all?

anyone know what i mean?

17 Posts

May 30th, 2009 13:00

Hi maf2k8, don't worry about the hard drive once it is snapped into the Dell drive caddy.

As you mention, the screws in the caddies do not thread into the drive but they hold the drives just fine. Also, once you slide the drive and caddy into the PC bracket the caddy (and screws) are held tight to the drive.

It will also be fine with a 10k drive. I have a workstation with 4 15k SAS drives and they are just fine.

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

May 30th, 2009 20:00

Dell 730x w/ air-cooled i920 cpu
"Efficient Overclock"

CPU Configuration Screen
  XD Bit Capability = Enabled
  SpeedStep = Enabled
  C-STATE Tech = Disabled
  C State package Limit = C6 (greyed out)

Frequency/Voltage Control Screen
  QPI Frequency = Auto
  Memory Ratio = 8
  XMP Support = Disabled
  CPU Core (Non-turbo) Ratio = 20

Overclock Configuration Screen
  Adjust CPUBC1k (MHz) = 174 (175 max)
  Spread Spectrum = Disabled
  Adjust PCI Frequency (MHz) = Auto
  Adjust PCI-E Frequency (MHz) = 100
  Intel TurboMode Tech = Enabled

Overvoltage Configuration Screen
  Dynamic CPU Vcore Offset = +40mv (+80mv max)
  DDR3 Memory Voltage = 1.55V (varies, 1.50V min, 1.65V max)
  I0H Voltage = 1.10V
  QPI and Uncore Voltage = Default

* The one tricky thing is your memory.  If you have Dell "Micron" memory, you should be fine with these settings.  If you have aftermarket memory, you need to set the "Advanced DRAM Configuration" section properly (and the "DD3 Memory Voltage").

* The 2 boxes I tested ran stable at BCLK=175, but yours may vary.  I run at 174mhz to be conservative.

This is for the 920. Only the 965 can adjust each core seperately.

9 Posts

May 31st, 2009 10:00

Hi All,

Think my old DELL Dimension 8300 motherboard may have just gone to rest, thus may be left with a spare IDE/PATA harddisk.

I would like to put into my 730X as a secondary hardisk.

I check 730X manual that there is 1 IDE channel, so my question is on my old PATA disk, do I select it as Master or Slave? Or it does not matter as long as I choose my SATA disk to be the 1st boot up.

Thanks for all replies :)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 31st, 2009 13:00

We always use Cable Select on PATA devices.

June 1st, 2009 06:00

ok after reading many posts on this forum and others i decided to try and over clock my air cooled it 940 730x

Here are my BIOS settings, I was hoping that someone could confirm that i did everything correctly? or if something needs to be changed and or adjusted?

I am hoping someone could possibly let me know if i did everything correct or if there is something that needs to be changed or adjusted. Everything is STOCK in the 730x at the moment, running a air cooled i7 940 with 6gb DDR3 ram ( from dell )

Please reply with something that i may have not done right, need to do or if everything looks correct? My idle temps are 31c-34c and under load around 43c-50c ( using RealTemp)

Speed Step Disabled
C-State Tech Disabled

QPI Frequency Auto
Memory Ratio Auto
BCIK 160
Speed Spectrum Enabled
Intel Turbo Mode Tech Enabled ( grayed out, cannot select it, but it says enabled )
DDR3 Memory voltage Auto
IOH Voltage 1.10v

Out of curiosity, if you put your computer (Vista?) to sleep, does it wake up properly or does it seem hung up/frozen???

If there is any ONE single issue I wish would get fixed, it's resuming from sleep on an overclocked 730x.  It's sold as an overclocker,

but when you do, it won't resume from sleep! 

June 1st, 2009 06:00

Speed Step Disabled
C-State Tech Disabled

QPI Frequency Auto
Memory Ratio Auto
BCIK 160
Speed Spectrum Enabled
DDR3 Memory voltage Auto
IOH Voltage 1.10v

Out of curiosity, if you put your computer (Vista?) to sleep, does it wake up properly or does it seem hung up/frozen???

If there is any ONE single issue I wish would get fixed, it's resuming from sleep on an overclocked 730x.  It's sold as an overclocker,

but when you do, it won't resume from sleep! 

39 Posts

June 1st, 2009 09:00

I am trying to gain a better understanding of what each selection in each control does for me in the BIOS.  I am running BIOS 1.02 on an XPS 730x H2C.  Can anyone direct me to a document with a comprehensive description of what each selection does/does not do for me.?

Secondly, I have been running my very new system at Level 2 Factory Overclock described by Chris in earlier pages.  I have been attempting to increase the overclock by using some of the previously posted setting (by others) without any success.  My system does the usual three attempts then backs off to the default settings.  I often get the blue screen of death which disappear after the reset.   Is there anyone out there who has increased their 965 Extreme Edition above the 3.72 level?  If so would you mind please sharing those settings - again.

Eagle Hill

39 Posts

I am trying to gain a better understanding of what each selection in each control does for me in the BIOS.  I am running BIOS 1.02 on an XPS 730x H2C.  Can anyone direct me to a document with a comprehensive description of what each selection does/does not do for me.?

Secondly, I have been running my very new system at Level 2 Factory Overclock described by Chris in earlier pages.  I have been attempting to increase the overclock by using some of the previously posted setting (by others) without any success.  My system does the usual three attempts then backs off to the default settings.  I often get the blue screen of death which disappear after the reset.   Is there anyone out there who has increased their 965 Extreme Edition above the 3.72 level?  If so would you mind please sharing those settings - again.

Eagle Hill

39 Posts

I am trying to gain a better understanding of what each selection in each contol does for me in the BIOS.  I am running BIOS 1.02 on an XPS 730x H2C.  Can anyone direct me to a document with a comprehensive description of what each selection does/does not do for me.?

Secondly, I have been running my very new system at Level 2 Factory Overclock described by Chris above.  I have been attempting to increase the overclock by using some of the previously posted setting (by others) without any sucess.  My system does the usual three attempts then backs off to the default settings.  I often get the blue screen of death which disappear after the reset.   Is there anyone out there who has increased their 965 Extreme Edition above the 3.72 level?  If so would you mind please sharing those settings - again.

Eagle Hill

1 Message

Nanisivik

30 Posts

June 2nd, 2009 11:00

I just had a quick question about upgrading the ram in my XPS 730x.

Right now my system has the 6gb ddr3 1066 mhz hyundai ram, if i were to upgrade to the OCD Gold ddr3 1600 ram, would i notice a performance increase at all? i have a air cooled i7 940 that i bumped the BClK to 150 and did nothing more then that.

I am just curious if i would benefit from the upgrade or if it would be a waste of money ( seeing as how i will still have 6gb regardlass )

thanks

No Events found!