Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

30 Posts

June 2nd, 2009 11:00

I also had one more question. Currently i have 2 500gb WD hard drives ( 7200rpm 16mb cache ) I use one for my system and the other to store videos and music.

I was wondering if either of the 2 options would also give me a speed increase and if SO, which one would give me greater speed and performance boost? If neither of the 2 options would really do much for me, then just let me know.

A) "1" 300gb 10,000rpm drive

or

B) run my "2" 500 7200rpm drives in RAID0

Would i notice a increase in performance? if not, i will just stick with my current setup. thanks

650 Posts

June 2nd, 2009 14:00

A) "1" 300gb 10,000rpm drive

or

B) run my "2" 500 7200rpm drives in RAID0

Would i notice a increase in performance? if not, i will just stick with my current setup. thanks

If you have the money, purchase (2) VelociRaptors for a RAID0 config.  If you don't, put what you have in RAID and save up money for another Raptor.  Yes, you'll notice an increase in performance.

I just had a quick question about upgrading the ram in my XPS 730x.

Right now my system has the 6gb ddr3 1066 mhz hyundai ram, if i were to upgrade to the OCD Gold ddr3 1600 ram, would i notice a performance increase at all? i have a air cooled i7 940 that i bumped the BClK to 150 and did nothing more then that.

I am just curious if i would benefit from the upgrade or if it would be a waste of money ( seeing as how i will still have 6gb regardlass )thanks

No, you wouldn't gain a noticeable increase in performance.  I have 6gb of Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600.

81 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 15:00

Hello,

I have two questions:

First, I recently purchased a Dell 730x I-7 965 H2C system and so far so good.  It came with Bios version 1.0.3.  I was not able to find much out about this bios but I seem not to have some options that I see posted in the overclocking posts (such as XMS support).   Also it appears to be overclocked per the bios settings but the bios says it is at 3.2.  I thought the bios was the only place where the overclocking would actually show correctly. I have some config questions but I will save that for another post.  Does anyone know what is different in the 1.0.3 bios?  I tried searching but was not able to find anything.

Second, I need to ask a question about the Nvidia Drivers that were on the system and subsequently upgraded to the newest version (185.15, roughly).  I bought the 965 H2C version of the system with 2 9800 GT’s in SLI.  I am hoping to upgrade at some point but for now they serve me well.  I use a multiple monitor set up and for the most part this has worked well for me in SLI (with the newer drivers).  One thing that I have noticed on one game (Star Wars Galaxies), is when I am in window mode and try to switch out to the desktop or another program there is a long delay that occurs.  It eventually gets there and things will run fine but it is not practical since I typically run multiple accounts and switch a lot.  I have noticed that when I go into the Nvidia control panel and switch to non SLI or even elect to keep SLI, the problem seems to disappear.  Any thoughts on how I may fix this so I don’t need to do this work around?  This issue occurred with both sets of drivers (the ones that came with the system and the newer ones).

Thanks

Mark

81 Posts

June 4th, 2009 15:00

Any thoughts?

Thanks

51 Posts

June 5th, 2009 11:00

Bios 1.0.3 is news to me.  Right now you can only download 1.0.2 so you're in uncharted territory there.

XMS support is in there (or was) but only appears if XMS profiles were detected in your ram chips.  Supposedly my (Mushkin) ram has XMS profiles but they do not show in the 730x bios nor in Cpu-Z which leads me to believe my ram does NOT have XMS profiles and thus no option in Bios to use them.  People have posted here that Corsair Dominators appear to work with XMS (and perhaps the only approved 1600 speed ram).

Nvidia, hmm, I have no answers but more questions...  1) For SLI, are you using the "SLI bridge connector" between the 2 cards?  2) I thought using SLI precluded multiply monitors, but I think you're saying that (with newest drivers) you CAN use multiple monitors with SLI.

PDS

81 Posts

June 5th, 2009 12:00

Bios 1.0.3 is news to me.  Right now you can only download 1.0.2 so you're in uncharted territory there.

XMS support is in there (or was) but only appears if XMS profiles were detected in your ram chips.  Supposedly my (Mushkin) ram has XMS profiles but they do not show in the 730x bios nor in Cpu-Z which leads me to believe my ram does NOT have XMS profiles and thus no option in Bios to use them.  People have posted here that Corsair Dominators appear to work with XMS (and perhaps the only approved 1600 speed ram).

Nvidia, hmm, I have no answers but more questions...  1) For SLI, are you using the "SLI bridge connector" between the 2 cards?  2) I thought using SLI precluded multiply monitors, but I think you're saying that (with newest drivers) you CAN use multiple monitors with SLI.

PDS

Thanks for the reply Virtue.

I was looking around in the bios some more last night and was trying to adjust the settings to see what would happen.  It appears to have the overclocking options for 3.73 all "pre-entered" (per Chris' previous posts) but the bios only says it is at 3.2 in the overclock screens.  I thought (and correct me if I am wrong) that the bios should accurately reflect the true overclocked speed.  If that is the case either the display is wrong in bios or overclocking appears not to work.  I was not able to change much in the overclocking settings.  It seemed locked to a degree but I may be doing it wrong.  I want to get what was advertised out of the computer if I can.  Still can't find anything on the 1.0.3 bios other than the other thread where Chris had issues.

Here are my settings:

Bios 1.0.3

CPU Configuration Screen
XD Bit Capability = Enabled
SpeedStep = Enabled
C-STATE Tech = Disabled
C State package Limit = C6                (not visiable despite the c-state status)

Frequency/Voltage Control Screen
QPI Frequency = Auto
Memory Ratio = Auto
XMP Support = Disabled                       (Does not show up on my computer)
CPU Core (Non-turbo) Ratio = 24       (Can't change)

Overclock Configuration Screen
Adjust CPUBC1k (MHz) = 133
Spread Spectrum = Enabled
Adjust PCI Frequency (MHz) = Auto
Adjust PCI-E Frequency (MHz) = 100
Intel TurboMode Tech = Enabled
1 - 4 core turbo speed limit = 28 H2C (28x133 = 3724 MHz),    <---  ( I can't change these settings individually and the Speed indicated in the bios is still 3.2 in the overclock section but they are set for 3.73 it seems)
Tdp = 200 H2C, 180 Air Cooled

Overvoltage Configuration Screen
Dynamic CPU Vcore Offset = +120mv H2C
DDR3 Memory Voltage = Auto
I0H Voltage = 1.10V
QPI and Uncore Voltage = Default

The computer works fine and is still plenty fast at 3.2 but part of the reason I bought it was to "play" with it some.  Thats how it was advertised at least.

As for the Nvidia issue, yes the cards are in SLI.  The newest drivers do allow you to have a duel montior set up in SLI as long as they are both plugged into the same card.  You are required to select an SLI focus montior.  But  like I said the issues were the same with older drivers that did not support muluple monitors.  I suppose I will wait for an update from Nvidia.  Perhaps it is just the game.  I can live with the work around.  What would be a good driver cleaner? I searched google and there are a bunch.  Not sure who I trust so I have not tried that yet..  Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

June 5th, 2009 13:00

Did you try CPU-Z?

81 Posts

June 5th, 2009 18:00

I need to look at core speed, in CPU-z, correct?  I see that that value changes from some lower number up to 3743.6 Mhz.  Is that the intel speed step at work?  Meaning my CPU is running like it should?  If so cool.

Is is possible to push it higher if I want?

Thanks

Mark

51 Posts

June 5th, 2009 21:00

Yes, I think that is the answer in that your "3.2ghz" settings are the "minimum" speed but when the cpu needs power it will dynamically increase the core multipliers (to the limit of 28) thus making your new clock speed 3.7ghz (the crux of the i7 platform).

The way you see that in action is to run Cpu-Z, note clock speed/multipliers, then run something like Cinebench or Prime95 that stresses all 4 cores.  Cpu-Z should then reflect the higher values.

Pushing your cpu to 4ghz (or more) may be possible but the amount of voltage needed makes the whole thing highly inefficient and generally not worth it.  Having said that, you can try high clock multipliers (since your chip is unlocked) leaving voltage alone and see if it's stable.  Jacking up the voltages just makes things run even more hot and could shorten the life of the chip (and waste alot of electricity).  Your speed gains would be measureable but relatively small.  Again, not worth it (imho).

PDS

2 Posts

June 9th, 2009 11:00

I have also experienced the same issue with the intake bay LEDs diplaying the reddish tint.  I was unable to resolve the problem even with several Dell "chats". A service tech was dispatched and the master control board was replaced.... No Effect, the service tech returned and replaced the motherboard... No Effect, the service tech returned again and replaced a board that I will identify by saying "it contains several connections to the leds throughout the XPS and includes two AA batteries"... No Effect. At this point I requested a system exchange, since the original problem was not corrected.  I have just received the replacement 730X...  Before doing anything including attaching the monitor, keyboard or mouse, I plugged it in and turned in on. I have EXACTLY the same issue!  I find it difficult to believe that I have received a second unit that has the identical problem. Is this reddish tint problem on ALL 730X systems? Or are the owners out there that can get true colors... White, Red, Green, Blue, etc. on the left and right intake bays? I feel like someone is playing a bad joke on me, with all I have gone through to correct the problem, only to recieve a replacement that exhibits the same malady.  I will connect the monitor, keyboard and mouse this evening and see if the AlienFX application allows solid colors, but I suspect that I will have the same "Mix" on the intake bays that I had on my original unit.  I don't want to pursue this if everyone with a 730X has the same issue, but if this is correctable I want it fixed. Any help from any source is appreciated!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 9th, 2009 12:00

PJWalter,

Post a picture of the issue here.

30 Posts

June 9th, 2009 12:00

I am hoping someone could help me with the settings in BIOS for ram.

I just installed 6gb ddr3 ocz gold  1600mhz ( OCZ3G1600LV6GK )

Its not running at 1600 mhz ofcourse, i was hoping that someone could walk me thru the settings that i need to change and or adjust in BIOS to get the most out of the ram and possibly run it at 1600 or atleast get the most and correct timings from it?

thanks

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

June 9th, 2009 19:00

I have also experienced the same issue with the intake bay LEDs diplaying the reddish tint.  I was unable to resolve the problem even with several Dell "chats". A service tech was dispatched and the master control board was replaced.... No Effect, the service tech returned and replaced the motherboard... No Effect, the service tech returned again and replaced a board that I will identify by saying "it contains several connections to the leds throughout the XPS and includes two AA batteries"... No Effect. At this point I requested a system exchange, since the original problem was not corrected.  I have just received the replacement 730X...  Before doing anything including attaching the monitor, keyboard or mouse, I plugged it in and turned in on. I have EXACTLY the same issue!  I find it difficult to believe that I have received a second unit that has the identical problem. Is this reddish tint problem on ALL 730X systems? Or are the owners out there that can get true colors... White, Red, Green, Blue, etc. on the left and right intake bays? I feel like someone is playing a bad joke on me, with all I have gone through to correct the problem, only to recieve a replacement that exhibits the same malady.  I will connect the monitor, keyboard and mouse this evening and see if the AlienFX application allows solid colors, but I suspect that I will have the same "Mix" on the intake bays that I had on my original unit.  I don't want to pursue this if everyone with a 730X has the same issue, but if this is correctable I want it fixed. Any help from any source is appreciated!

I have the exact same issue. As do others in this thread. Doesn't really bother me though. Not sure that anyone has just white led.

30 Posts

June 9th, 2009 20:00

Nothing new. Same problem here. Several posts on this issue. No resolution. Sheesh.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 10th, 2009 07:00

Post a picture of the tint issue here.

No Events found!