Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2013 14:00

XPS 8100 Windows 8.1 Upgrade Breaks Catalyst Control Center

I ran the upgrade to 8.1. After reboot, my monitor had about a 1" black bar all the way around it and everything seemed fuzzy since it was shrunk down some. I tried to launch Catalyst Control Center, but it gave me an error that it could not load. I went out to AMD website and downloaded the latest driver for my Radeon HD 7570 graphics card (which said it was supported for 8.1), but nothing changed after installing. I uninstalled the entire Catalyst "Suite", and my video card, then reinstalled; Catalyst Control Center is gone. It was not reinstalled for some reason. After an hour of uninstalling, reinstalling, even tried the beta driver, same results with the black bar and no Control Center.

I downloaded the latest driver from Dell for my hardware, and the black bar finally went away and my screen went back to normal, however still no Catalyst Control Center.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 18th, 2013 17:00

Hi F3lane,

The "black bar" is due to the scaling setting when using an HDMI connector. But honestly, the CCC most people find to be more headache than it's worth. So I vote to leave it off.

October 18th, 2013 23:00

I have the same problem. What driver do I need to update to fix it? 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 19th, 2013 05:00

I downloaded the latest driver from Dell for my hardware...

7 Posts

October 19th, 2013 06:00

The Control Center was the only way I knew to fix the scaling. I couldn't find that setting in any of the standard Windows settings. That's mainly why I wanted it back.

But when I installed the driver from Dell it fixed itself.

7 Posts

October 19th, 2013 06:00

Go to dell.com/support and put in your Service Tag. Find the latest video driver for your computer.

254 Posts

October 19th, 2013 21:00

I can't speak to the 7000 series cards but when I installed Windows 8.1 I had to delete the old version of Catalyst for my HD 6570 and install the new version 13.9 from AMD that is certified for Win 8.1 ... the new version of CCC worked for me and it let me adjust scaling. 

1 Message

October 20th, 2013 13:00

I had the same issue with the black bars and no access to CCC after the upgrade to 8.1. After reading your post, I went to the Dell support site and downloaded the latest drivers. It worked like magic! The black bars are gone and I now have access to CCC. I would never have tried this if not for your post. Thank you so much, John.

October 26th, 2013 01:00

I had this same problem, but I found that it has a pretty simple fix. All you have to do to get your CCC back is go to this file:

C:\Program Files\AMD\CCC2\Install

And run the ccc2_install.exe inside of it. Once it's done, your CCC should be working again.

7 Posts

October 26th, 2013 07:00

I had this same problem, but I found that it has a pretty simple fix. All you have to do to get your CCC back is go to this file:

C:\Program Files\AMD\CCC2\Install

And run the ccc2_install.exe inside of it. Once it's done, your CCC should be working again.

I don't have this directory or install file anywhere. Does this come from the Dell driver or the driver directly from AMD's website?

3 Posts

October 30th, 2013 11:00

Thanks Thunder Walrus, I had the same problem after upgrading to windows 8.1, i.e. black boarders and no CCC to adjust them. Spent hours trying different things from the web and this one worked!!! I had already downloaded the complete driver package from the AMD web site, but it kept erroring when installing CCC. Your trick worked for me....:emotion-2:

1 Message

November 2nd, 2013 18:00

Thank you for the tip. Worked like a charm and saved me a lot headache 

No Events found!