Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2013 09:00

XPS 8300 quick amber light no beeps

My XPS was working fine until I upgraded my PSU to 700 and Graphics Card MSI R6850 (min. 500 to run). With the upgrades the light flashed amber and the fans worked for about 1 second. I unplugged all the peripherals and power cord, held the the power for 10 secs and the same thing. So I put the stock Dell PSU 460 back in minus the graphics card and the same result; quick amber light no beeps won't post. I've also reseated all the ram and other cables on the motherboard as. However the green light is solid on the back of PSU and the Amber light is solid on the Motherboard.

Any suggestions?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 09:00

Hi filipinowise ,

The amber light on the motherboard indicates that the mother board has failed. However XPS 8300 comes with Power button diagnostic indicators. I’d like to know the power button light (bicolor LED) located on the top of the computer illuminates and blinks or solid to indicate different color state.

September 3rd, 2013 10:00

Thanks for the quick response Ravi :emotion-1: The power button on the top only flash once orange/amber color.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 5th, 2013 07:00

Hi filipinowise,

I would like to know if the power button status is Blinking Amber or Steady Amber so that I could suggest you appropriate steps.

September 5th, 2013 08:00

The power button only blink Amber once, there is no constant blinking Amber or steady Amber on the power button. It only blinks once and shuts off.

September 6th, 2013 12:00

Ok this morning my XPS 8300 Post and power on, Power Light is solid white. What can cause this and what is going on?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 8th, 2013 07:00

Hi filipinowise,

This indicates the system board may be faulty. I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the hardware Diagnostics.
4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

September 8th, 2013 18:00

Ravi,

I ran the full diagnostics test with no errors. Pass all test. What do you suspect it to be?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 10th, 2013 06:00

Hi filipinowise,

For now everything seems to be good. If the motherboard faces the same problem you may consider replacing the motherboard.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2015 13:00

Hi Dell-Ravi BC

I have the same amber light on my mother board but my computer work fine! With these amber light it suppose that I have an issue with my mother board?

November 6th, 2015 15:00

I also have an amber motherboard light but everything works fine? Isn't there always supposed to be an amber light when the PC is on? White power button, amber light through the mesh at side of PC.

1 Message

November 20th, 2017 00:00

Hi

I just brought DELL XPS 8920 i7-7700 upto 4.2GHz 24GB 1TB+256GB PCIe SSD AMD RX480 8GB VR-Ready on Nov. 4 2017 and received on Nov 9, 2017. Today Nov 19, 2017 the PC wont turn on at all. It just blinking a orange light no sound nothing. Please help

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 20th, 2017 04:00

Original Post is about an XPS 8300.

The 8920 has blink pattern on power button.

Any Blinking AMBER  Power button indicates very Bad hardware Failure.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/4/product-support/product/xps-8920-desktop/diagnose

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8920-desktop_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

No Events found!