Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2012 19:00

XPS 8500 Operating System

Hello,

I was on chat with a dell agent last week trouble shooting a fairly new computer I purchased from a 3rd party.

After the agent led me through some things to try, he determined my operating system is corrupt, I need to delete all data, reinstall the operating system and drivers. I don't have disc that came with the computer and he gave me a link. Unfortunately the link says it's for an XP not Windows 7.

Can anyone share with me the link to find where to get the information he intended to give me on deleting the data, reinstalling the operating system and drivers.

Appreciate the assistance.

Cynthia

21 Posts

October 2nd, 2012 18:00

I have the usb in the computer with the files for the SATA and even tried two different usb ports with a few more to go and it is not opening the file. It's not doing anything. Since it is notorious for freezing and not doing anything even in re-installation, I keep hoping it might grab it but so far nothing.Help.

Cynthia

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 3rd, 2012 01:00

Okay as I said earlier:

I was speaking to Dell-Chris M with regards to your freezing issues. He suggested that we first check what devices are attached to the XPS 8500. Do you have anything attached to the unit apart from monitor, keyboard and mouse? Do you have anything else in the USB ports? You have verified that and it should be okay. In addition are you connecting the keyboard and mouse to the USB 2.0 ports and not the USB 3.0 ports (14 and not 15 here).

If the keyboard and mouse are attached to the USB 3.0 ports then you may experience freezing during the install as Windows 7 doesn't have native support for USB 3.0.

The next thing he asked (as your unit is sold by a third party) was if your ATI HD7770 Video Card had the the video mounting bracket. Page 36 here. If the card gets slightly loose it can result in freezing issues like those you are experiencing. The next issue a bit trickier to diagnose. Do you have the mounting bracket?

Lets try to break the problem down. Can you remove the graphics card from the system? i.e. take it out the system completely so there are no additional cards (20). Next remove the black cover from the integrated video (16 or 17) and plug your monitor in there. Attempt to install Windows again and let me know if the system still freezes.

53 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 09:00

Hi, I did install the system and all drivers except the video card. I can't get the driver AMD HD7770 GRPHC_AMD_W74_A00_Setup_1GWCJ_ZPE.exe and tell it to auto detect since still not able to connect from the desktop. If you can tell me the specific of the files I should choose I will download to usb and wait till can get computer to let me install the driver.

I have the bracket and it doesn't appear to be loose at all. Everything seems fine. I didn't install directly plugging into since had already started before I saw your messages. I also am using correct usb ports as you displayed.

Still having freezing problems and not sure why. Seems worse now since installing the AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver Suite. Everything had seemed to be going along fine, installing drivers and restarting and proceeding. But now seem at a stand still.

Please advise how to proceed. Thanks.  

Cynthia

53 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 10:00

Hello again,

I also keeping hearing a clicking noise like my phone would make when I take a photo. Is there a reason for concern with this.

Thanks,

Cynthia

53 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 10:00

Also, I can click on things such as such opening to set up the wireless network but nothing wants to open.

Cynthia

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 3rd, 2012 11:00

Do you have any idea where the clicking noise is coming from? There shouldn't be such noise so I would be concerned.

53 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 21:00

Hi,

Clicking noise has stopped and haven't heard it again to try to track it down. Still computer frozen up tight and won't function. Wondering if need to restore to last known good configuration and try to get the AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver Suite off the computer and see where to go from here.

Also need to know specifics of AMD HD7770 GRPHC_AMD_W74_A00_Setup_1GWCJ_ZPE.exe to download from Intel so when the computer wants to function again, I can install it.

I seemed to be so close then nothing happening. Frustrating as all get out.

Cynthia

53 Posts

October 4th, 2012 09:00

Hi, haven't really nailed down where the clicking noise is coming from but seems to occur when computer starts and is booting up. Will keep listening and looking.

Cynthia

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 4th, 2012 13:00

Sometimes there is a clicking noise if there is alot of activity on the hard drive.

It could be an indication the hard drive is failing which would also explain the freezing issues, however you did say the diagnostic tests passed.

Have you tried running the system without the graphics card yet?

53 Posts

October 4th, 2012 15:00

Hi, diagnosis tests just passed again. How can a hard drive fail in a computer not a year old? Sigh

Appreciate any assistance.

Cynthia

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 12th, 2012 11:00

It shouldn't happen but it can happen in the odd case. If the diagnostics pass the hardrive should be okay.

Does the system freeze without the graphics card?

4.4K Posts

May 29th, 2013 23:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                      

No Events found!