Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 9th, 2014 21:00

XPS 8700 - Black screen before getting to Windows 7 screen. Help plz.

Hello. I recently purchased XPS 8700, replaced the PSU 550W and the video card with MSI GTX 660.  

The problem I'm having is the boot up takes too long, almost 2 minutes. I see the black screen for about 1 minute before it proceeds to the window 7 screen.

I updated the vga driver to the latest and others through dell system detect as well.

What should I do to get rid of the black screen and reduce the boot time?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 11th, 2014 11:00

Boot into the F2 Bios. Go to Boot. Is USB Boot Support set to Disabled? If not, change it to Disabled. Press F10 to Exit the Bios and restart.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 14th, 2014 16:00

What happens if you boot in Safe Mode? Reboot and press F8. Select Safe Mode + networking.

What happens if you disconnect everything, except mouse, monitor and keyboard?

Is something scheduled to run at boot like an antiviral scan..?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 14th, 2014 17:00

What is the boot order of the BIOS? Is it set to boot from your internal hard drive first?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 10th, 2014 13:00

Power off, remove the MSI GTX 660, put our video card back in, power on. If it boots faster, the culprit was the retail video card. If it doesn't boot faster, power off, put the MSI GTX 660 back in. Disconnect all devices from the XPS 8700 except the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Power on. What happens?

9 Posts

December 10th, 2014 18:00

Thanks for the respond first.

I contacted the dell support and got help through the remote access control before I checked your reply.

It did seem the boot time was a bit reduced after the fix, but when I turned it on after about 3 hours, the boot up time came back to slow state.

I also followed your instructions. It was the same slow boot up time with the original video card as well.

So I put the Gtx660 back in, disconnected all devices except the basics, and booted it up.

I still get the black screen with the mouse pointer that slows down the whole boot up time.

Note: The tech rep said the black screen with the mouse pointer was just a boot up process, which I still doubt since the black screen takes up more than half of the boot up time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

9 Posts

December 11th, 2014 20:00

Thanks. I disabled the USB boot support. It seems the boot up speed slightly got better, but it still has the black screen with the mouse pointer delay.

The total boot up time takes about 1 min and 30~40 sec now.

I can't figure out what went wrong anymore. I'm kind of frustrated since the boot up takes longer than my previous 5 year-old pc with similar hard disk spec.

If you have more solutions, I would gladly follow. I really appreciate your help.     

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 12th, 2014 07:00

What video out ports are on the MSI GTX 660? Using what cabling connected to what port on the monitor?

9 Posts

December 12th, 2014 09:00

It has 2 DVI output.  I'm using one of them and DVI port on monitor as well.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 13th, 2014 17:00

Time to start pulling the ram sticks and checking them one at a time to see if you can see if they are causing the slow boot.

9 Posts

December 14th, 2014 14:00

Thanks again for the attention and help.

I pulled them out and checked one at a time, but the result was the same slow boot.

I really don't understand why it hangs on so long to the black screen before it switches to the windows screen....  

Please let me know if you have more suggestions.

9 Posts

December 14th, 2014 20:00

Thank you very much for the attention. I rebooted in safe mode. Guess what happened. The black screen delay is gone!!  

At this point, what could be the problem causing the black screen delay in normal windows mode?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 15th, 2014 13:00

That sounds like it's a driver problem.

First off- update your video driver...

9 Posts

December 15th, 2014 22:00

Thanks for the suggestion. I updated it to the latest version, which is Nvidia driver version 344.75.

New updates: As you mentioned about the antivirus program, I tried uninstalling it.  After the uninstallation, the boot up speed significantly improved. I didn't realize the program would cause this much trouble. I can just live with the speed now. 

I really appreciate for all the attention and help. It was very informative. I believe many people would find it useful if they run into the slow boot up problem.       

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 16th, 2014 12:00

But you still need to have antiviral protection!

Not sure what you were using, but at the very least turn on Microsoft Security Essentials (Win 7) or Windows Defender (Win 8) and the Windows firewall.

Is it possible whatever you were using was set to scan at boot? That would certainly cause a delay. I believe McAfee has that option as do others like SUPERAntispyware.

So all you'd really need do is find and disable the "scan at boot" option in whatever software you were using.

9 Posts

December 16th, 2014 13:00

Sure thing. Right after I removed that program, I realized I should've just managed the setting instead of deleting it. So I ended up reinstalling it. By the way, the program I've been using is Bitdefender total protection 2015.

Thank you again for the advice.

No Events found!