Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2014 04:00

XPS 8700 Front USB Port Issue

Hi guys,

Just  a quick one, I seem to be having a weird issue with the front USB 3 ports on my XPS 8700.

If I plug a flash drive into any of the USB ports it is recognised as being removable and the safely remove hardware icon is present. When plugged into the front USB 3.0 ports however, there is no such option.

I've tried all the USB reset options and links I could find on the net, but alas the issue persists. Somewhere is was mentioned that the removal policy for the front ports could be incorrect, which I have confirmed with a USB info tool.

Where and/or how can I go about changing this setting to enable the safely remove icon to be present when using the front USB ports?

Thanks in advance.

332 Posts

May 19th, 2014 06:00

Hi Carn17580,

I Would Suggest you try updating the BIOS and CHIPSET Driver from the Below link.

Select the Operating System version and Select BIOS and click on the download the latest BIOS file and install the downloaded one,

Follow the same for the Chipset which will be under the CHIPSET Section.

http://dell.to/1ndBBku

let us know your findings on this.

332 Posts

May 19th, 2014 08:00

Please private Message me the Service Tag of system to look into this and assist you further.

If possible do send the error message that u get when u plug in the flash device.

9 Posts

May 19th, 2014 08:00

Hi there,

I've tried that to no avail. All the USB ports aside from the front ones work as expected.

Any flash drive inserted into the front ports doesnt come up with an Autoplay option, and also doesnt activate the Safely Remove Device icon in the system tray.

Ive tried installing and uninstalling all the USB devices in Control Panel as well, which hasn't helped.

Any other ideas please?

190 Posts

May 19th, 2014 09:00

I have the SAME issue!

Flash drive in the front USB 3.0 ports DO NOT show on Safely Remove H/W. An Ext. USB 3.0 drive DOES. However an Ext. USB 2.0 drive DOES NOT!

I spent 1 and 1/2 hours on the phone with Dell and they connected to my computer. They reloaded the Chipset drivers from Intel. Did not fix it. They got 'new' Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Drivers from the Intel site. Did NOT fix it either.

I was then told the USB 3.0 drivers can tell if it is a flash drive and they do not need that function. I didn't buy that and I can FIND no information on the web supporting that

I then then plugged in a USB 2.0 flash drive into one of the read USB 3.0 ports. Guess what, it DID show in Safely Remove HW!!! Nothing wrong with the driver. It is either a cable sense problem or cable error that is used to connect the front ports to the motherboard.

In a related issue I have with the ports, if I connect my iPad to the left top charging port, iTunes can not backup the iPad. iTunes it set to back-up the iPad when inserted. It starts and stops constantly. If I connnect the iPad ot the other USB 2.0 top port, no problems.

On the REAR USB 3.0 port I had connected my UPS. It could NOT complete power-off test. Plugged it into the USB 2.0 port and it can.

Something is wrong here, that is for sure.

I used MS's USBVIEW and I see an error on one port as well.

9 Posts

May 19th, 2014 09:00

Hi there,

I have sent the service tag. There is no error which comes up and the drive is accessible.I am however unable to eject it as there is no safely remove device icon available when using the front ports.

I've tried with a few other flash drives and the same occurs.

Thank you

332 Posts

May 20th, 2014 06:00

Hi Carn17580,

I have not received the service tag of your system.
Please private message me the service tag to assist you further and look on options available.

332 Posts

Hi Carn17580,

I have not received the service tag of your system.
Please private message me the service tag to assist you further and look on options available.

9 Posts

Any luck on mine as yet?

9 Posts

May 20th, 2014 07:00

Just a quick update on this...

I've noticed that by inserting a SD card into the card reader, the Safely Remove Device notification icon pops up and includes both the SD card, as well as the flash drive plugged into the front USB port.

Safely removing the SD card however removes the icon for both once unplugged.

Somehow I think the front USB ports are being seen by the system as being part of the multi card reader. Are they on the same cable, or are they part of the same unit, or are they 2 seperate items all together?

9 Posts

May 20th, 2014 07:00

I sent you a friendship request with the service tag. I don't know where the Private Message option can be found?

332 Posts

May 20th, 2014 09:00

Hi Carn17580,

The Front USB ports are connected thru the I/O Panel and they are in turn connected to the Motherboard.

Let try these steps and check and i also did get the service tag of the system.

1. Disconnect all USB devices except mouse and keyboard
  2. Open Device Manager and expand list under USB(Universal Serial Bus Controller)
  3. Double-click on a root hub and Unistall all the root hub.
  4. Repeat for all root hubs that are available.
  5. Restart the system and update the Chipset and BIOS to the latest version from the earlier link provided to download the drivers
  6. Reboot the system once all the drivers are updated.

Let me know your findings.

190 Posts

May 20th, 2014 15:00

Farooq, I have the same problem but Dell Support was on my computer and did all that you asked Carn17580 to do and more. It was NOT fixed.

Basically the REAR USB 3.0 ports when you plug a USB 2.0 device into them WILL show in Safely Remove H/W. Plug the same devices in the front panel USB 3.0 ports and they DO NOT appear in Safely Remove H/W.

To me, that means the USB 3.0 drivers are good.

The Front Panel ports however are cabled, not directly on the motherboard as are the rear 3.0 ports.

Either the cable has a design problem (can't handle currents or voltages?) or goes through a different way to get to the motherboard.

Can you escalate this to Level 2?

190 Posts

May 20th, 2014 18:00

I've noticed that by inserting a SD card into the card reader, the Safely Remove Device notification icon pops up and includes both the SD card, as well as the flash drive plugged into the front USB port.

I gave this a try, on my computer this does not work. I tried it with the SD card in first and then the flashdrive and the other way around, flashdrive in first and then the SD card. In both instances only the SD card appeared in Safely Remove HW.

332 Posts

May 21st, 2014 00:00

Hi IrvSp,

As u have tried all the steps mentioned,

Please private Message me the Service Tag of system to look into this and assist you further.

If possible do send the error message that u get when u plug in the flash device.

190 Posts

May 21st, 2014 05:00

There are NO error messages at all!

I ran USBTREE and did see one error for one USB device but I do NOT know which one that was for?

I tried sending you a PRIVATE MESSAGE but Dell-Farooq A is NOT known and I can't send you one with the service tag. Send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE and I'll reply with it.

No Events found!