Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2017 07:00

XPS 8700 Suggestions please - two interim replacement parts needed

Suggestions please

Hi guys,
I will not be in a position to buy a new Dell system for a year, and I want to ask what people would suggest for two interim replacement parts in Feb 2017 for my reliable (mid 2013) XPS 8700  - i7 4770@3.4 24Gb DDR3; 256SSD, 2Tb HDD, 1023Mb nVidia GTX650Ti .... BTW I use Win10 Pro.

MONITOR

Firstly, and importantly my good 'ol 1920x1080 monitor is on the way out. It is getting urgent I replace this first and soon.  But it needs to work well with my next Dell system too!  So, I am starting from this position. 

I am suggesting a replacement with a 24-27" monitor that can handle 4-5k Colour. However I note that some people seem to be advocating staying with a good 1920x1080 display for sizes under 27" and forgetting 5K. However, I can afford to get a higher pixel count as long as I can resize things to make it readable on the screen.

A must is that it will work well with the next Dell system that I intend to get in first/second quarter of 2018.

I need it to have at a non-HDMI connection (Is that a Displayport?)
I need at least three inputs to handle plugging in various devices like AppleTV, or TV hardware, or (future) Bluray player or even HDR capable..  I presume HDMI.

My uses:  General Internet, WP, watching movies, and rare but neccessary ability to run Elite Dangerous.  I also use it to do family/church  videos and audio editing. I don't specifically need accurate colour, just good sharp pictures that dont blur.  BTW, the monitor does not need to be Dell.

Graphics Card

I think it's a given that the existing GTX650Ti will not have what it takes to supply a new monitor, especially if 4-5k. 
I have received one suggestion to replace it with something that will work ok  with the monitor until 2018 and the new system, and that is a EVGA 550G2, but I don't have the knowledge to go with whether it will fit, or either the load on the Dell's PSU will cause noise or overheating - even just playing back a movie.

May I request helpful advice please guys?
I don't know how long my monitor will hang on...

Thanks in advance

Pete

46 Posts

March 1st, 2017 05:00

Thank you Dan-H

I had not really considered the idea of a spare monitor. Good thought.

Appreciate your info and help.

Pete

1.2K Posts

February 28th, 2017 17:00

option 1,  $89 after rebate for a solid 23.6 inch IPS 1920x1080 www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I recently bought a couple of these and they are decent and for the price they are excellent.

I'm not sure about Elite Dangerous. [edit] on the GTX 650ti it it works, great. If not, checkout option 2.

Option 2. Approx $300

Option 1 plus a new graphics card. a GTX 1060 ( about $200) will allow most current game titles to run with full eye candy and will work with the OEM stock PSU. It might need a $7 adapter depending on the card.

Option 3: Approx $1,250

- 4K monitor: approx $550

- GTX 1080: approx $600

- PSU: Approx $90

Again, I'm not sure if Elite Dangerous will run 4K, and single GTX 1080 and 4K is marginal for many games with all of the visual effects enabled.

Seems like Option 1 buys you some time, and having an extra monitor around is never a bad thing, especially at less than $100.

46 Posts

March 1st, 2017 04:00

Thank you Speedstep

Appreciated

No Events found!