Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 9th, 2014 15:00

XPS 8700 - Who makes the motherboard? Is it quality with solid capacitors like an MSI or ASUS board?

You're probably laughing, as I doubt you get anything other than a very mediocre motherboard.  I've read so many criticisms of Dell, their customer service, their poor parts quality, that I don't know if this machine is of the quality I would like.  

The only thing I could find by calling Dell is that the board is PROBABLY (though they are not sure, which seems really shoddy),  is probably an INTEL LYNX . Z87., but is branded "Dell"

Also, doing a Google search on XPS 8700 motherboard, Tom's Hardware says it is the following:

0KWYT8

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 10th, 2014 11:00

Hi Muscibrain,

Dell motherboards are manufactured to their specifications with Intel chipsets.

3 Posts

May 10th, 2014 15:00

Hi Osprey,

Ok, the boards are made by Intel to their own specs.  I guess it is impossible then to find out the quality of the board and its components.  Would you not agree?  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 10th, 2014 18:00

Hi Osprey,

Ok, the boards are made by Intel to their own specs.  I guess it is impossible then to find out the quality of the board and its components.  Would you not agree?  

He didn't say they were made by Intel or to Intel's specs. They're made to Dell's specs by Dell's contract manufacturer using Intel chips. Intel no longer makes motherboards for PC manufacturers.

Dell products come with a 1-yr warranty included in the purchase price, and you can purchase a longer warranty directly from Dell, if you think that's important to you.

3 Posts

May 11th, 2014 18:00

You are correct that he did not say they were boards made by Intel; just  Intel chipsets.  I should have known that, as I know from looking into HP computers, they use boards like Pegatron on their better units.

However, I spoke to a Dell Technician, the only one I spoke to of several who seemed to be really competent, and when I asked him, he looked into the question, and replied that he discovered the boards used by Dell are Intel boards, MSI boards, and FoxConn (yuk!).  So, I don't know if he was simply wrong about boards made by Intel.

Dell is so cryptic - like they don't want you to know, which makes me think they ARE using cheap stuff, and don't want you to know about it.

So, I still cannot find out, whose board and what quality it is, in the XPS 8700.

1 Message

May 30th, 2016 00:00

Dell uses a specific motherboard design and a variety of forms of those. General speaking one would respond to your question with What do you want do do with your system? And Dell can design its portfolio around what you need because we have a variety of options available to provide you the best  in low to mid and high performance gear in any realm of IT especially if you looking for Commercial grade material. 

No Events found!