Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 5th, 2015 17:00

XPS 8700, apple ear bud/mic, splitter

so here is the problem: I wanted to use my apple ear buds with the microphone on my xps 8700. I realized you have to buy an adapter which would split the one audio cable that has the microphone and audio into two cables, one for audio and one for microphone. The adapter works and I tested it on my laptop and the audio and microphone work perfectly. I then plugged the adapter into the xps 8700 and the audio works fine but the neither the front or back microphone ports detect the microphone. What I mean by this is it says the microphone is plugged in. When i talk it wont pick up any sound and i already tried all the audio gain settings. Whats weird is when i click the mic button on the apple ear buds it picks up a click sound in the windows sound control panel. I then uninstalled the realtek audio drivers and i restarted. Windows then automatically installed Microsoft hd audio drivers and i plugged in the adapter and ear buds and the microphone and the sound worked but the microphone wasnt too loud and with gain turned up the quality gets bad. If anyone could help it would be really appreciated and like I stated, on my laptop the adapter and ear buds mic work and the test recordings i took are loud even without ANY gain. But on the xps 8700 the mic wont even pick up sound with the dell realtek drivers installed. Without them, the microphone is too quite which is also a driver issue im guessing. I also tried installing realtek audio manager from their webstie but it automatically installed the dell audio manager instead. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the super long post I just wanted to explain everything in one post so I don't have to wait for an answer that asks a question because i didn't explain clearly. 

Heres the adaptor: www.radioshack.com/.../4200837.html

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 14th, 2015 09:00

No idea about the apple and splitter. You need to get a stand alone PC microphone and test it by itself in both the top and rear MIC in ports. Be sure that the Sound Recording has a green check by the Microphone. If the stand alone PC microphone works, the XPS 8700 MIC ports and driver are fine. The culprit is the apple or splitter.
* Right click on the speaker icon on the taskbar
* Click Recording devices
* Right click on a white area
* Click Show Disabled Devices to put a blue check on it
* In the list, the green arrow will be on the one you want to use
* Right click on the chosen recording device
* Click Properties
* On the first General tab, Device usage = Use this device (enable)
* Click the tab Levels
* Make sure the bar is at 80 and and not muted
* Click Apply- OK

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 14th, 2015 17:00

Easiest pain free fix for this is the Amigo II USB adapter.  It works with standard headsets.

Use a Turtle Beach Amigo USB soundcard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118008

The Amigo II USB sound card adds a stereo sound output and mic input and converts a standard headset into a USB headset with great sound.

No Drivers needed for XP, Vista, Windows 7, OSX 10.5 and up.

9 Posts

January 19th, 2015 10:00

Thanks Chris for the reply. So after a week of confusion I bought a cheap usb audio input adaptor. The mic quality on the usb audio input isn't very good however since its only mono, but I tried various headsets and external microphones on my laptops mic input, the usb mic input, and the dell xps 8700 front rear mic inputs and line in input and I realized every mic was way too quiet on my xps even with gain, which would make the quality terrible. On the usb audio input and my laptops audio inputs, the microphones were fine and without any gain so the problem has to be with the xps 8700 drivers and they are up to date.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 19th, 2015 16:00

Contact Dell Technical Support. Tell them the troubleshooting we have done. Ask them to send you for free the "0DR8F Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe x1 sound card". The drivers are here. Once you get the card =
* Restart
* Press F2
* Go to Advanced
* Go to Onboard Device Configuration
* Disable Onboard Audio Controller
* Press F10 to Save and Exit
* Allow the XPS 8700 to boot all the way into Windows
* Click Start- Shutdown- Shutdown- Ok
* Remove the side cover
* Install the PCIe x1 sound card into an available PCIe x1 slot
* Close the cover
* Power the XPS 8700 on
* Install the PCIe x1 sound card drivers
* Restart the XPS 8700
* Test MIC in the sound card

9 Posts

January 20th, 2015 13:00

ok once again thanks for the quick reply DELL-Chris M. Your very helpful, I see your posts on almost all of the xps 8700 threads.

Before I call dell support ill just confirm. I call and tell them I have problems with my dell xps 8700 integrated realtek sound card. Then I tell them I did some troubleshooting with Chris on the forums and show them this thread and ask if they will send me the "0DR8F Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe x1 sound card" for free as per DELL-Chris M instruction?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 21st, 2015 07:00

If they give you any push back, click my DELL-username in blue, then click "Send a Private Message". Provide to me the following information -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Dell Service Tag:
Reason: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19613125

No Events found!