Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DH

December 18th, 2014 16:00

XPS 8700 nVidia GTX video card upgrades,

Now that the XPS A10 8700 BIOS update is out, Chris-M would like to close the long Black screen of death thread.

Let's use this to post successes and links out to other forums with tips, tricks and how-to-resolve issues with high-end nVidia GTX cards. 

This will help others choose wisely or perhaps find a solution to an already solved problem.

In the body of your post, if you have upgraded to a high-end nVidia GTX graphics card, please list the following.

* specific video card
* exact driver version
* Brand monitor and resolution and cable type: HDMI, DVI, Display Port or (yikes) VGA
* specific power supply you are using if you upgraded or indicate Stock Dell 460W.

Ask questions, link to benchmarks, describe what has gone well and reflect on what you might have done differently.

I encourage AMD owners to start a similar discussion, but let us keep this thread to high end nVidia GTX cards only. 

High end should imply above and beyond what Dell has shipped, or more than a GTX 660 or GTX 750ti.

GTX 760, 770, 780, 780ti, 970 and 980 graphics cards are what I would consider high-end.

14 Posts

December 21st, 2015 07:00

I know the motherboard needs a 24 pin connection and the 4 pin connection...

My question is where does the 4 pin connect to the PSU?

This is what the back of my psu looks like

http://i67.tinypic.com/vz7kw4.png>

Like I said the videos online show two CPU slots on the PSU

I have two MB slots and only one CPU slot on my PSU

Where does the 4pin 12 v (for the motherboard) connect to this psu?

Thanks for all your help- like I said I'm new to this so I apologize if my questions aren't clear etc

1.2K Posts

December 21st, 2015 13:00

The one cable that is not a flat ribbon cable but has a sheath around it is the 24 pin ATX motherboard connector. On the PSU side it will have two connectors: 18 pin (2x9) and 10 pin (2x5). Plug both in, and connect the 24 pin cable to the motherboard. If the connector on the motherboard side is 20 + 4 pin, connect all of it.

The CPU power connector is 8 pin on both ends, but has a split connector on the motherboard side and you will only use 1/2 of it. The key is to get the correct half.

Plug in all 8 pins on the PSU side.

On the motherboard side, look very closely at the connector and the motherboard. There are two "D" shaped and two "square" shaped parts of the connector.  Make sure the pattern matches.

find the cable that has SATA power and plug that into your HDD/SSD and as I suggested earlier, use a second SATA power cable for the optical drive.

14 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 14:00

So I installed the new Evga power supply and all is working properly... One final question. My power supply has two VGA connections on the back. Do I use them both when powering the gtx 970? I think the cables are split at the end so I could technically use one vga slot with a split cable too? Am I making sense?

1.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2015 16:00

You can use one graphics card power cable  to power a single graphics card.

On the graphics card side there are two connectors that are 8 pin (6+2).

The power supply can power two graphics cards which is why they provided two cables.

note: Some Graphics cards need a single 8 pin, some need one 8 pin and one six pin, and some need two 8 pins power connectors so the cables provided will work for all of these.

Good luck. You'll really enjoy the GTX 970.

1.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2015 18:00

So I'll have one empty vga port on the back on my psu?

Yes.

Is there an advantage if I use two different cables to power it?  Each cable plugged into one of the two vga ports on the power supply ?

No advantage. Disadvantage is having two cables to route and two loose ends on the cable to zip-tie out of the way. 

The benefit of a modular power supply is only having to use and route the cables you need,  and having flexibility to add more in the future.

I run a single GTX 970 with a single power cable off of a seasonic X-650 which uses the exact same cables as the EVGA 650 GS power supply.

One more thing. I suggest setting the "ECO" switch to where the fan always runs. It adds a token amount of exhaust flow to the case all the time. The fan is so quiet on my X-650 to where I cannot hear it running or not.

14 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 18:00

So I'll have one empty vga port on the back on my psu? Is there an advantage if I use two different cables to power it?  Each cable plugged into one of the two vga ports on the power supply ?

14 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 19:00

You guys are the best! Made this easy for a newbie like me.  Setting up the Msata tomorrow might be more challenging

14 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 19:00

I know this is off topic but I think I have it figured out so it shouldn't take long... 1. Make recovery flash drive from computer - update dell back up and recovery application first. This is factory setting in case something goes wrong etc. 2. Download 8.1 Windows Iso and burn it so u can use for clean install on new Msata drive 3. Connect Msata and Disconnect hd ( because I heard sell will what to install on the biggest drive available... So I'll only have the Msata plugged in) 4. Install from bios Windows 8.1 on Msata 5. Change boot order or make bios changes(not exactly sure what to do here) 6. Download drivers from dell (clean windows install won't have factory drivers installed in guessing?) 7. Format big hd Does it matter how I format the big drive? I wanna do a good wipe. Do I do it from the bios? Or disk manager?

1.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2015 20:00

Please start a new thread or searchf ro SSD installs. Here is one on a vanilla Win 8.1 install.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19614665

1.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2015 20:00

Please start a new post for the SSD or search for another SSD post. You'll get better response and it will be of value to the next reader. Here's a starting search for you.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=site%3Aen.community.dell.com%20dell%20xps%208700%20hdd%20windows

or try this thread.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19614665

14 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 09:00

Any recommendation on which brand of gtx 970 to order?

I was thinking Evga ... But now thinking gigabyte g1 gaming edition (has three fans I think) or the Asus strix

Evga has so many different types... I was thinking Evga FTW if I stick with Evga

1.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2015 15:00

Any recommendation on which brand of gtx 970 to order?

I have the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G and it is excellent, but others are also excellent.

The Gigabyte G1 may be too long and conflict with the HDD cage.

Do a google search on this "GTX 970 roundup" and read the pros and cons for each model. In the end look for the choice of monitor connectors, the performance, the noise of the fans and the stability.

I chose the MSI because it either "won" or did very well in every review I read, and I have been happy with the MSI GTX 770 and MSI GTX 760 that we own.

Watch for sales with rebates. They come and go. I got mine for $299 after rebate and it included a game worth about $35 if sold on eBay.

1 Message

December 27th, 2015 08:00

Dell xps 8700 i7. I fitted a Corsair cx 750 power supply and a msi gtx 970 4g twin frozr graphic card. connected to an Acer 1920 1080 monitor via dvi cable and to an Hd tv via hdmi. Disabled secure boot in bios. All I got for my trouble is a computer that when you turn it on offers a high end and expensive BLACK SCREEN! To Quote Dell " Easy expandability so you can be ready for anything". It seems not. Help Please this was a very disappointing Christmas day for my son.

1.2K Posts

December 27th, 2015 10:00

Dell xps 8700 i7. I fitted a Corsair cx 750 power supply and a msi gtx 970 4g twin frozr graphic card. connected to an Acer 1920 1080 monitor via dvi cable and to an Hd tv via hdmi. Disabled secure boot in bios. All I got for my trouble is a computer that when you turn it on offers a high end and expensive BLACK SCREEN! To Quote Dell " Easy expandability so you can be ready for anything". It seems not. Help Please this was a very disappointing Christmas day for my son.

Did you update BIOS to A10? It is essential for GTX 9xx graphics cards.
Remove the 970 temporarily. re-install the prior card get the machine booting again. Then update BIOS, then remove the prior card, re-install the 970 making sure both power connectors are properly seated.

56 Posts

December 27th, 2015 11:00

well hopefully he at least reads the last couple we wrote lol

No Events found!