Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2017 15:00

XPS 8900 Issues

Hey everyone, I'm new to this community and if I'm posting in the wrong section I hope I'll be forgiven and informed as to which section I should've posted in...

Anyway, a couple of months ago I purchased an XPS 8900 desktop (core i7, 6th Gen., 16GB DDR4, Windows 10 Pro x64) from Amazon. Refurb. Since then, I added 16 more GB RAM, an EVGA 1050Ti GPU, and upgraded the wifi to this one. I've been pleased with it except for one issue: Trying to run Windows 7 on this thing.

I always make the necessary changes in BIOS that are required (enabling Legacy ROMS, making sure Secure Boot is off) and I use this image and tutorial for my install. From usb with Rufus, just like the tutorial instructs. Install goes swell, Windows 7 Pro gets installed fine, activation is automatic, I get my updates from Microsoft and also the Dell site here (using System Detect and Dell Update)... No problems. Until after I've spent hours setting up my computer. Then, it never fails, I go to restart, the computer freezes at the logon screen for a few minutes, it logs in to a completely black screen with only a mouse cursor, and I suddenly get a BSOD. It's usually something to do with "buffer overflow" something-or-another. Always it's something different as far as which software driver is responsible. The last time Acronis True Image's "snapman.sys" seemed to be the culprit. But like I said, sometimes it's some other thing. I don't remember them all. There have been several.

Nothing like that ever happens if I just use Windows 10 Pro, however. Everything runs as smooth as silk. I know some of you are going to say "Well, stay with 10, silly!" and I do understand that Windows 10 is the latest-and-greatest MS os. But, dang!, I wanna run Windows 7 until its end-of-life in 2020. I like Windows 7. And these days getting a machine with a Windows 7 OEM install is like trying to find a golden Easter egg in a hunt.  

I'm just wondering if there might be some other settings in my BIOS that might need to be turned off or disabled. 

My system drive is an almost new Samsung Pro SSD (256GB) and I have 2 HDDs, both 2 TB Seagates, for backups and which hold my videos, music, etc. Oh, and I always disconnect those HDD drives (plus any extra usb drives) whenever I do my Windows 7 install, so that no boot files get stashed on them from Win7 setup. 

I feel like I've done everything correct, per the score of tutorials I've read/watched on installing 7 to a Dell XPS 8900 desktop... but am I missing something? Have any of you had similar experiences and solved them? Any advice (aside from wisecracks) would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

September 14th, 2017 14:00

The problem seems to be Acronis True Image 2017, in particular the snapman.sys driver. After close analysis of the BSOD error screen, I finally got to the bottom of it. It never happens with Windows 10 installed, however... only Windows 7.  

If I don't install Acronis on my Dell XPS 8900 running Windows 7, no crashes. Presently looking into other backup software, even though I hate to give up True Image (I've used it for years). Macrium Reflect seems like a good alternative...

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 1st, 2017 01:00

Thank you for your message.

This seems to be caused by some driver/ application installed.

With Windows 7 installed run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB  & check if there is any error listed.

You can analyze what application is causing the blue screen by installing this application http://bit.ly/1GoNC21 & then click on analyze.

Try to check the computer in safe mode & observe for some time & check if there is any blue screen error.

For better assistance, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 1st, 2017 08:00

WINDOWS 7 is not supported by Microsoft on Skylake.

Intel Skylake Removes Support for USB based Windows 7 Installation

This means RUFUS = NOT SUPPORTED EVER.  This comes from MICROSOFT not Dell.  This means there is no support for USB INSTALL.

Microsoft Says OEM's are not responsible to provide media for downgrades AND HOME Versions of windows DO NOT HAVE downgrade Rights only PRO versions do.

PC models with Intel's 6th generation of processors, also known as Skylake. These systems will be supported on Windows 10 with all applicable security updates.If you havent done so already It is recommended that these systems be upgraded to Windows 10 as soon as possible.

This was intentional and corresponded with the "special"JAN 2016 windows 7 install DVD's for Skylake.

You might be thinking that one can always take the bootable DVD route and even though research indicates that dependence on optical drives is diminishing by the second, it has its own caveats. You better hope that your motherboard has a PS/2 port because even while installing from a DVD, the USB ports wont work (during the install setup). If you have just one PS/2 port you will have to switch your PS/2 based mouse and keyboard as required through the entire process. All this means that Windows 7 will be very very troublesome for people to install and in most of the cases, people will consider it not worth the effort. Even if you do get it to work, the lack of EHCI means there might be unforeseen compatibility issues in the future. Effectively, from Skylake, and thanks to Intel’s spec upgrade, Windows 7 is now officially an obsolete OS.

• Skylake’s EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technolog) which is the standard frequency modulation and scaling technology in modern Intel processors and calculates the CPU multiplier and Turbo based on load, will get a much needed upgrade. The upgrade will be the addition of memory as dynamic and scalable entity.  Basically where it was previously only for the CPUs, now it will scale memory as well. Currently this feature is limited to the notebook platform.

• Skylake’s Southbridge has received an upgrade as well and the 8 PCI 2.0 channels have been upgraded to PCI 3.0 with 20 channels with support for 3 PCI-E devices.M.2 and SATA express will be available on the shared PCI-E channel.

• Skylake will fully implement eSPI and will be used to replace EC/BMC/SIO communication over LPC. LPC stands for Low Pin Count and is Intel’s standard specification for legacy and rom based chips present on the motherboard.  The newly implemented eSPI (enhanced Serial Peripheral Interface) will basically provide more efficient architecture for the SPI flash controller, SM Bus controller, Power management controller and GPIO Sources. Basically an upgrade for motherboard specs that will be subtle but significant.

• Finally, you might remember we told you ages ago that INTEL DROPS FIVR (fully integrated voltage regulation system) . Skylake will leave behind the VR12.5 standard supply system and shift to IMVP8 based spec, a technology Intel already utilizes in mobility processors.

August 1st, 2017 17:00

Thanks for the responses, SpeedStep and Dell-Sreejith R.

@SpeedStep, I'm aware of the official Dell stance on downgrade rights and also the stated limitations concerning running Windows 7 on a Skylake system. And I'm not concerned with Microsoft's lack of support for usb installs of Windows 7. Did you notice the link for the tutorial in my post, the one that shows the procedure? And I've had no problem whatsoever installing Windows 7 Pro on my XPS 8900 per that tutorial. Also, I don't understand this part of your reply: "Finally, you might remember we told you ages ago that INTEL DROPS FIVR..." because you or anyone else from this community have never told me anything 'ages ago'. 

Dell-Sreejith R, thank you for the suggestions. And the link for the BSOD analyzer. Will download and run it after I do the other thing you advised.

Again, thanks to the both of you for taking the time to reply. :emotion-1:

No Events found!