Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2017 21:00

XPS 8900 Periodic focus switch

I have a XPS 8900 with Windows 10 and every few hours the focus will switch from my current program to the previous program I used. This has been happening since I purchased the PC, but I am finally annoyed enough with this to try to find out what is going on. This happens whether I am at the keyboard or not.

I have a similar problem with an older XPS using Windows 8 although in that case it doesn't switch to a prior program, but just loses focus on my current program, then it automatically returns focus a few seconds later. Then a few seconds later it repeats the loss and return of focus. Then nothing happens again for a few hours. I made a serious effort to solve this myself, with the steps listed below.

As recommended by Microsoft I disabled all non-Microsoft services through MSCONFIG. When that didn't help I removed all startup programs that weren't essential, including my anti-virus. I then went in to task scheduler looking for programs that were scheduled at the approximate interval and time when this happened. I disabled those and the focus loss still occurred.

I've seen reports of device drivers causing this problem and since both are Dell PCs, I am hoping they know if devices they include with their PCs sometimes cause problems like this.

Henry

13 Posts

April 24th, 2017 01:00

That seems like a software issue. Have you tried doing a full backup and reformatting your computer to factory settings? If that happens on a fresh installation, then it's likely hardware. Try a difference keyboard/mouse, there might be some key-switches that are on their way out and toggling commands on their own.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 25th, 2017 13:00

Do you have the latest version of BIOS (2.1.8) and the latest device drivers for your hardware?

www.dell.com/.../advanced

11 Posts

April 30th, 2017 19:00

I updated my BIOS and all other drivers suggested by the dell detection program but that didn't solve the problem. Thank for the suggestion though.

Henry

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 1st, 2017 12:00

The Driver Detect thingy frequently misses important driver updates. :emotion-5:

Maybe you should repost this in the Software and OS forum since this sounds like software rather than hardware.

en.community.dell.com/.../4997

No Events found!