Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2016 21:00

XPS 8900, Power Surge??

Dell told me to return a new computer, because it was turning itself on for 2-3 seconds the instant that you plugged it into any outlet or surge protector.  It then would immediately power itself down...with me never touching the power button.  I exchanged the computer for another XPS 8900.  The second computer does the same thing.  I've checked the wiring in my home with an electrical tester.   Other computers plugged into the same outlets do not do this.  Has anyone had this trouble?  I have not yet turned on the newest computer to set it up, because it will power up for 2-3 seconds no matter what outlet I use in my home.  This cannot be normal.  Has anyone ever had this problem?

91 Posts

January 4th, 2016 18:00

I think it's normal. My XPS 8900 shows light on the power switch as soon as I connect power, then the light goes out. The computer shows no sign of turning on, however; the only indication is the power light and it goes out almost immediately.

After that I see nothing unusual. Only occurence is when first connecting power to the machine.

Phil

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 5th, 2016 10:00

It's entirely normal. Dell PCs have BIOS options to tell the system what to do after a power failure, eg: "Do nothing" or "Reboot automatically".

When you plug the PC into a working outlet, the PC thinks it's recovering from a power failure so it turns itself on to check the power recovery settings in BIOS. If it's set to "do nothing", PC shuts down again. Just like you're seeing...

I actually use that option as a convenience. I set it to reboot automatically, and I turn everything off at a surge protector after shutting down normally via Windows. So when I turn the surge back on, monitor turns on, speakers turn on, and PC boots automatically with the press of a single button. Yes, I'm lazy!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 5th, 2016 11:00

I'm wondering why Dell just didn't tell me this from the start? 

That's a fair question. 

Outsourced Tech Support works from scripts. If your question / issue isn't listed in their scripts...

If you want to confirm this for yourself, reboot and IMMEDIATELY press F2 to open BIOS Setup. Browse around to the AC power recovery options and check the choices.

Default is "Do nothing", but you can change it to Reboot. (Do NOT change anything else.) Then watch what happens the next time you unplug and plug into the outlet.  You can always change the option back to the default after you're done playing...

91 Posts

This from Dell "Dell told me to return a new computer, because it was turning itself on for 2-3 seconds the instant that you plugged it into any outlet or surge protector." is the only abnormal part!

Phil

4 Posts

Thanks so much for your responses, Phil and Ron.  These were both exceptionally helpful comments.  I'm wondering why Dell just didn't tell me this from the start?  I have not used a Dell desktop for years, and so this start-up was very different than the desktop that I currently use.  I really like the specs in my XPS 8900; it would be a good computer for my purposes.

4 Posts

January 5th, 2016 12:00

Thanks, again for the great advice.  As soon as I get home from work, I will definitely try this to confirm and put my mind at ease.

I'm glad that I posted my comment on the forum, because I am getting some solid information.

4 Posts

January 5th, 2016 14:00

Yes, definitely.  That was my plan.  You have been a huge help today.  Thanks!! 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 5th, 2016 14:00

I'd finish the Windows setup before playing around in BIOS...

My 2 cents.

No Events found!