Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2016 19:00

XPS 8900 stock PSU with GTX 1070 works

Hello,

Just wanted to post this even if it has already been confirmed but you can definitely run a GTX 1070 with a Dell XPS 8900 with a stock 460 watt PSU.

My XPS 8900 has 32GBs of RAM, 500 GB SSD M.2, 1 TB HD, i7 6700 non K with a EVGA SC GTX 1070 on a stock PSU (460 watts) and it works just fine. I have a Belkin real-time watt meter and the most draw I have seen is around 230 - 250 when running a demanding game, benchmarking or using fast sync (as opposed to limiting FPS).

I upgraded from an EVGA GTX 960 SC 4GB that I had overclocked to 1.5GHz and I am seeing very close to the same power draw as the GTX 1070.

Hopefully this helps anyone else like me who wasn't sure if I would need a new PSU or not.

July 19th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for posting. I have a Dell XPS 8900 and was hoping to get a GeForce GTX 1060 so if the 1070 works I am guessing the 1060 is no problem.

Does the stock 460 watt power supply have the needed cords to connect the card or do you need some sort of adapter?

5 Posts

July 19th, 2016 13:00

1060 should be no problem at all. With the EVGA 1070, it came with an 8 pin to two 6 pins adapter I had to use to connect the card. If the 1060 is going with the same 8 pin, then you will need an adapter (I haven't done any research on the 1060)

1 Message

July 20th, 2016 02:00

Great post and video.  

Can also confirm the GTX 1070 runs rock solid with the stock PSU on my 8900.  I have a Gigabyte G1 Gaming brand and it's been working for weeks now without a problem.  My GPU didn't come with the 6 to 8 pin adapter, so I needed to buy that separately.  So it is worth noting that not all card brands include that in the box.

Also am running a SSD so I needed longer SATA cables to move out of the way and reach easier.  They are quite a big card so this was needed in my setup.

So if you were worried about this working, then don't.  All works perfectly well. :)

Benchmark:

www.userbenchmark.com/.../1391596

July 21st, 2016 15:00

So it seems the 8900 stock Power Supply has 2 of these 6-Pin plugs and that will work with the 8-Pin on these new cards as long as you have an adapter. THIS is what I wanted to know!

I couldn't find any info on what kind of plugs the 8900 Power Supply had. Why is this so difficult to find?

Anyway, thanks for the info.

July 25th, 2016 12:00

I just installed a new GTX 960 in my 8900 and those two 6-pin leads took some hunting to find in the cabinet, but they were there and really helped the installation go quickly - I was wondering the same thing and panicked for awhile when I couldn't find the 6-pin plugs anywhere.

1 Message

August 21st, 2016 11:00

I also just installed a GTX 1070 upgrading from a GTX 760.  This card is a beast with i7-6700 CPU.  It seems that the power supply is adequate to run this card as there are other cards with similar wattage requirements that were stock or advertised for the 8900.  Mine was a special edition but, seemed to have the same 460 W power supply.  With that said,  I am more concerned about the size and weight of the 1070.  This thing is heavy and long.  The XPS 8900 comes with a graphics card bracket for the larger stock video cards.  Mine did not and am concerned about the stress on the PCI-e slot over time.  Does anyone know if you can order the bracket from Dell?  Can anyone from Dell chime in?

September 13th, 2016 10:00

One quick question: which EVGA 1070 Sc did you use? (could you share the specifics. I see EVGA has a founder edition)

Thanks

October 3rd, 2016 14:00

Hello, Dread7us.

How is your setup working so far? Did you have any issues?

I have a FE 1070 from Zotac. It works fine, except that sometimes the whole system shuts down without notice. It is very weird. Last Saturday I ran CPU and GPU benchmarks in parallel all day to stress the system and nothing wrong happened, but on Sunday I was playing "The Crew" and the PC shut down after an hour or so. It has happened once before, when I was playing "The Talos Principle".

I suspect it is the power supply. However, I'm using a Corsair CX500 that I had laying around (but was working fine).

I'll try to put back the original PSU and see if the problem happens again.

If you've had any issues, please leave a message!

Thanks,

André.

4 Posts

November 16th, 2016 15:00

I am having freezing issues with a setup similar to Dread7us except running two - 1920x1080 monitors. I upgraded the power supply to an EVGA 1000GQ and also RMA'd the video card. Has anyone had similar issues and solved them?

5 Posts

November 16th, 2016 16:00

It is not the founder edition. Here is the link to the exact one I purchased: www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

5 Posts

You are still having freezing problems after upgrading the power supply?

5 Posts

I've had some issues with the PC completely freezing. I have had this issue since I've had the PC (on original GPU; GT 740, GTX 960 and GTX 1070). Usually happens when running graphically intensive games / HTV Vive. I have not seen anything on the wattage meter to suggest it is an issue with the PSU. If you have already tried the other PSU, please let me know if that resolves it. It looks like a more recent commented has a similar issue without stock PSU.

1.2K Posts

November 19th, 2016 10:00

I've had some issues with the PC completely freezing. I have had this issue since I've had the PC (on original GPU; GT 740, GTX 960 and GTX 1070). Usually happens when running graphically intensive games / HTV Vive. I have not seen anything on the wattage meter to suggest it is an issue with the PSU. If you have already tried the other PSU, please let me know if that resolves it. It looks like a more recent commented has a similar issue without stock PSU.

I have a theory it might be software or a driver, and here is my suggestions.

1) backup your system. ( always good advice).

2) use a combination of Revo uninstaller and DDU to eradicate all past history of any card or driver.

www DOT revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

www DOT guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

( be careful. the ads are misleading. make sure you get a page to download the latest version of[Guru3D.com]-DDU.zip )

I would run DDU first, and then run Revo and look for anything that has nVidia .

3) download drivers directly from nVidia.

www DOT nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I do not install any of the nVidia experience or 3d, and only the driver and control panel extension. I also make sure it is set to NOT auto update.

hopefully this makes sense, good luck.

3 Posts

December 29th, 2016 13:00

I have the I7 6700k, 2TB Hard Drive, 500GB M.2 SSD and I can tell you the 1060 works fine with the stock power supply. If you go for one of the higher end models (like an asus strix card) you might need an adapter depending on whether or not it comes with one.

46 Posts

January 7th, 2017 07:00

Thanks for posting this.

I have a need to run two HD definition cards inside a Dell XPS 8910.

I was thinking of two EVGA1070's.

How would the Dell cope with running two of these?

I would appreciate any answers guys.

No Events found!