Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2010 13:00

XPS 9000 I7-975EE Reporting only 2 cores?

For some reason the above I7-975EE machine is only reporting 2 cores instead of 4.  I'm going by information provided in Speccy, CPU Gadget, and Win 7 Advanced perfomance monitor.  Please note it did report all 4 cores and  8 threads when I first got it.  Seems like it was around the time I upgraded the BIOS from A14 to A15 that this happened.  I restored back to A14 with no luck, so I re-installed A15.

Bios has settings for 1, 2 and ALL.  I selected ALL.  Does anybody have a clue on what happened or how to fix it?

Also, may or may not be related.  How do you turn HT on or off?

TIA for any help or insight you may provide.

- Dave

16 Posts

June 8th, 2010 03:00

Thank you for the response TESLA1856.

I had eight processors in device manager which is correct [technically eight logical processors], but additionally research with keywords "device manager" and I found another similar post.

It suggested find a parameter in Msconfig ---> Boot ---> Advanced ---> and unchecked the number of processors.  I'm guessing that told Win-7 to get the info from the BIOS, I re-booted and all is good now.  I show 4 cores and 8 threads.

I do not know how the msconfig parameter got set to four [unless the BIOS upgrade did something].  I did not change it and no one else has access to this computer.

Thanks for your help.

- Dave

16 Posts

June 7th, 2010 14:00

Anyone?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 7th, 2010 21:00

In Device Manager, open Processors, delete all the entries there (you might take note how many where there) and then reboot.

No Events found!