Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 13:00

XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 delivery delay issues

The previous thread that mentioned issues of the Studio XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 being delayed or having extensive build times was locked. After a months time I had ordered mine (9/26) and it was supposed to ship on (10/22), after two delays it finally shipped out and will be received today (10/28). If you have any issues or have found any solutions to help get your systems sooner please help others that have also been in this predicament. It would seem the main issue is due to the high demand of I5 and I7 processors and parts being backordered. If you call customer service after a delay often times they will upgrade you to one day shipping, even though it took them three days to actually get it out.

5 Posts

December 15th, 2009 02:00

Well, after numerous tries, I was finally able to cancel my order and bring an end to all the frustration.  I'd personally like to thank Dell for giving me the runaround for the last two weeks, wasting my time when I could have been doing business with a legitimate company that, at least, acted as if it had some respect for its customers.  I'm still somewhat dumbfounded by the fact that such a well known brand would, so overtly, engage in such unethical business practices.  However, I've been hearing rumors that the future isn't looking too bright for Dell, so I guess this all makes some sense.

I hope all the rest of you are able to get your business sorted out with Dell.  In my honest opinion though, you should just cancel your orders, because there is no reason that people should pay for service this poor when there are other companies building, essentially, the same systems, for the same prices, and without all the hassle and lies.

Dell had better believe that I will be advising all of my family, friends, and associates to never do "business" with them.  Ever.

December 15th, 2009 06:00

I'm amazed by the number of posts which are deleted and yet Dell has not answered any questions about the cause of these delays or any REAL estimates EDD. Dell would not do anything but read a script when I called them. They tell me my PC will arrive on time. I am dubious to this claim because people who ordered a month before me are having their EDD pushed past my EDD. This is very frustrating.

15 Posts

The status on my order has been updated in two different places - so currently my order has 3 different statuses: updated to "Delivery Preparation" on "My Account" page, updated to "Shipped" on "My Order Status" page and still "In Production" and "Not Shipped" on the "Order Detail" page.

So of course, I'm confused. . .  Which is it?  And for reference, my order was updated 4 days ago and hasn't changed since.  If in fact my order is ready to ship, does it take that long to box it up and get it out the door?

I'll continue to keep everyone posted...

Four days now and I'm still in the same boat.  "Delivery Preparation" on my account page, "Shipped" on the order status page and "In Production" on the order detail page.  This is both confusing and frustrating.  Also, I called the automated order status phone number and it also tells me that the order has shipped, but then tells me that it cannot find any tracking information.  How odd...  Does anyone else see the same thing?

Again, my order date was Nov. 27th with a scheduled delivery date of Dec. 17th.  If it hasn't shipped by now, there's no way...

6 Posts

I ordered using my company's payroll deduction.   And I am able to view all the orders placed.

All of these are XPS 9000 all i7-920s

Ordere 10/9 - Delivered 11/3

Ordered 10/21 - "Shipped"

Ordered 11/10 - Cancelled

Ordered 11/25 - EDD 12/15 - In Production

Ordered 12/1 - EDD 12/21 - In Production

The order I saw with an EDD of 12/15 was pushed back to an EDD of 1/11/2010.  (XPS 9000 - i7 920, Dell SX2210, GT220)

I will be cancelling my order - either purchase a system from somewhere else, or build one myself

3 Posts

Four days now and I'm still in the same boat.  "Delivery Preparation" on my account page, "Shipped" on the order status page and "In Production" on the order detail page.  This is both confusing and frustrating.  Also, I called the automated order status phone number and it also tells me that the order has shipped, but then tells me that it cannot find any tracking information.  How odd...  Does anyone else see the same thing?

Again, my order date was Nov. 27th with a scheduled delivery date of Dec. 17th.  If it hasn't shipped by now, there's no way...

Yes, I'm seeing the same exact thing.  As I stated before, I'm fairly sure it's a glitch.  I've heard other people report this, but haven't heard of anyone actually receiving the system after this happened.   I ordered on Nov. 26th with an estimated delivery of Dec. 17th.  I will call when I have about an hour to waste and see what's going on.

Steve

10 Posts

Here's my latest theory.  According to the Delivery Estimate Details, the delay is in the chassis and 750 GB hard drives.  Having been on the payroll of a Dell competitor 8 years ago, I have some small insight into the process. 

Educated Theories:

1.  There is a slow boat between Foxconn/HonHai in Shenzhen, China and Mexico with all the 8000/9000 chassis assemblies on them.  They can't pull any stock off the ship because its in the middle of the Pacific.  Even if they could, flying some chassis in to cover the backlog would make them lose their shirts on product cost.  Of course with all the cancellations, they are losing revenue anyway.

2.  Chassis don't exist and some otherwise insignificant part (or specialized resin) is in short supply with no known delivery date to the molder (who then supplies the subassembler, who then puts it in a box, on a truck, in a container, on a ship, then 14-60 days later it shows up at the final assembly factory in North America).  BTW, resin can have a 12 week leadtime.

As others have said, if Dell were to come out and say something like this and say, "we know it is undesireable, but here's the worst case delay...  we will continue to expedite the delayed parts, but (essentially) don't get your hopes up."

I'd like to stick with Dell because I believe I'll get at least a half-way tested machine and I don't have time to build a machine myself or spend hours on the phone but I'm losing patience.

BTW, my machine (XPS 8000, i5, 8GB, 1TB) (ordered 11/13, orig EDD 12/4) now shows an EDD of 12/29.

11 Posts

December 15th, 2009 07:00

Anyone that has had problems received their computer yet?

Please let us know when you get it so we can estimate from there.

I just had my next delay....wow...seems to happen every 7 days.  Who knows how long this will go on.  I am truly amazed at the lack of customer service.

15 Posts

December 15th, 2009 07:00

Yes, I'm seeing the same exact thing.  As I stated before, I'm fairly sure it's a glitch.  I've heard other people report this, but haven't heard of anyone actually receiving the system after this happened.   I ordered on Nov. 26th with an estimated delivery of Dec. 17th.  I will call when I have about an hour to waste and see what's going on.

Steve

Thanks for the info.  It's odd that some are seeing a delay notice while we're seeing a glitch.  I'll try to get on the phone later today - and from what I've been reading here, I doubt that we'll get anywhere.

11 Posts

December 15th, 2009 08:00

First delay was day before my delivery date.  All delays followed the same pattern.  Essentially their computer seems to automatically extend your delivery by seven days each time.

I called customer service multiple times (each time waiting for roughly 1 hour).  I finally talked to a manager who upgraded my shipping from 2 to 1 day and said he would send an email to expedite (who knows if that is true).  I ordered mine Nov 13. and here I am.

Merry Christmas.

27 Posts

I ordered my XPS 8000 on Nov.19 and received my first delay email 5 days before the original delivery date.. 2nd delay was exactly a week later on the 10 and I am expecting my next delay email to hit my mailbox on the 17th.. As it stands now, my order status still says in production with a delivery date of 12/22.. I talked to customer support and was upgraded to 2nd business day shipping (they don't know why or when or if I will ever get my computer, but as soon as they decide I am worthy, I will have it in 2 days), and was told that the computer will ship by the 16th (I'm not holding my breath).. I am filing a complaint with the BBB as soon as the delay email hits my mailbox on the 17th.. I can order a custom car and have it quicker than Dell can provide me with a "home computer"?  That's pretty pathetic.. This was going to be my 4th Dell but now it looks like it's going to be my first HP.. Thank for nothing DELL..

15 Posts

Anyone that has had problems received their computer yet?

Please let us know when you get it so we can estimate from there.

I just had my next delay....wow...seems to happen every 7 days.  Who knows how long this will go on.  I am truly amazed at the lack of customer service.

When did you get your first delay?  I'm not sure if you've read the posts above, but as yet my order hasn't been delayed.  Does the first delay come on the day of the estimated delivery date?

2 Posts

December 15th, 2009 09:00

FYI after canceling my xps 9000 order after it was delayed from a 12/17 delivery date to 1/13 I went to HP's site and ordered an equivalent box for just about the same money and a delivery date at around the 31st.  I didn't know it when I first ordered the 9000 but a quick web search indicates that Dells been doing this same thing for years.  This is not new behavior for them.

2 Intern

• 

262 Posts

December 15th, 2009 11:00

UPDATE...

Well, I wanted to be sure I exhausted every possible way of getting some satisfaction from Dell before proceeding with filing formal complaints with the FTC and the BBB.  I found the number for Dell Enterprise Support and called that.  I actually spoke to a native english speaker who was sympathetic to my situation.  Unfortunately, he said that that department was unable to help, although he did give me the first EDD I've ever gotten:  12/23.  He personally took the time to be sure my call was  transferred to a "supervisor" back in.....you guessed it.....India!  After a wait of around an hour the original guy said that he got hold of a "supervisor" and so he dropped off the call, and out of harm's way.  Well....at least he acted as though he gave a hoot about the situation.  So a lady comes on the phone and gives me the usual line about having to "send an email" to another group and that I'd get an update in yep, "24 to 48 hours".  I indicated that I no longer believed these statements.  At this point, the supposed "supervisor" transferred me to ....wait for it....wait for it.....a SUPERVISOR!!  This supervisor said that he too, would send an email to his manufacturing unit and that I'd get an update in............."24 to 48 hours".  He also said that my system was in "the final stages of production" and "could ship at any time".  I got yet another new case number for this conversation.  So after two more hours on the phone, not counting the two hours it took me to track down the phone number for Enterprise Support, I'm on my final wait.  If nothing changes in "24 to 48 hours", I will file complaints with the FTC and BBB, and I will pay a personal visit to Dell HQ (with a reporter from the Austin American-Statesman if I can convince them to come along).  Maybe the personal visit will help, maybe not, but, as I've said before in this forum, either way, this is the last time I'll deal with Dell.  I'd rather build my own systems for less money, and just go buy replacement components if any fail.  At least this way I'll be able to be in control of what I buy and when I get it.

9 Posts

December 15th, 2009 12:00

I ordered my XPS 8000 on 11/09 with an original ship date of 11/25. On 11/23 I was alerted that it had been delayed until 12/03 on 12/02 I received an email stating the order had again been delayed and I had 24 hours to contact Dell or the order would be cancelled. I called in and okayed the second delayed ship date of 12/10. I asked if there was a part on backorder explain to the notification representative that I would be happy to modify my order. He told me he could not check if anything was on backorder and offered to connect me to customer care. After 20 minutes of listening to the "due to unforseen supply constraints" message I got a customer care rep that assured me no parts were on back order. I then called on 12/08 to confirm if my order was on schedule and was notified that the order had been delayed yet again. They did not call or email me I called them. I again was transferred to customer care who told me that there were no parts on back order. So now onto today I again called to check that status as my fourth estimated delivery date is only two days away. Guess what? the delivery date has again been delayed this time until 12/28. I again asked to speak with customer care and got the run around that no parts where on back order. I asked for a manager and was connected to Poonam. After speaking with Poonam for 20 minutes and her telling me that nothing was on back order I finally convinced her to speak with someone else (order modification?) she came back and told me yes there was a part on back order for my system. Apparently the chassis for the XPS 8000 is not available. At this point I asked to speak with her manager and she refused. YES SHE REFUSED. I asked her to speak again with order modification and find a comparable computer that did not have parts on back order. After having me hold for another 10 minutes she came back on the line with Jake from order modification. Jake informed me that the following items ARE ON BACKORDER with NO ESTIMATED DELIVERY DATES for the XPS 8000 the processor is ON BACKORDER for the XPS 9000 the HARD DRIVES are ON BACKORDER. I'm still on hold waiting for yet another manager so they can explain why Poonam was given incorrect information although I truely think she was just lying to me so that I would go away and not bother her anymore.

7 Posts

December 15th, 2009 12:00

Dell keeps deleting posts about their shipping problems!! They have deleted 2 of my posts! I was so frustrated with dell i splurged and bought a mac last night! It has shipped this morning and is en route as we speak. I received tracking info this morning. Run from this company. I cannot believe what i went through and what everyone on here is going through. Their customer service is absolutely the worst I have ever seen in any business. Even foreign businesses have better customer sevice practices. Save your headaches and spend your hard earned money somewhere else! You will be sorry with your experience with dell.

No Events found!