csgreeley
1 Nickel

XPS One 27 BIOS Upgrade Question

I have a new XPS One 27 (Win 7, Home Premium, 8GB).  I got an alter that I need to upgrade my BIOS from A02 to A08.  While I am somewhat tech informed, I know this is out of my comfort zone and messing with the BIOS is a recipe for disaster.  In reading the fora on BIOS upgrading I am even more nervous about messing with it.

My questions are simple:

1) I am having no problems and am quite happy with my One 27, do I need to mess with the BIOS?

2) If I need to, can someone point me to the SAFEST way to do this?  As noted above, the current BIOS is A02.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Houston, TX

XPS 13 (9365)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
7- Gold

Re: XPS One 27 BIOS Upgrade Question

Hi Chris,

We don't normally suggest you update the BIOS unless there is a specific reason why you need to.

0 Kudos
Davet50
5 Iridium

There really is no "safest way" to install a bios other than to follow all the instructions that the bios vendor supplies.

On your first point the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" Your pretty much correct in your thinking that if you don't have any issues don't  up date.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

I presume you mean XPS One 2710.

If the system is under warranty, then you might consider updating BIOS. If the update fails, Dell should replace the motherboard under the warranty. If it's not under warranty, you have some things to consider:

If you plan to upgrade to Win8, you will need to update BIOS first.

If you look at the Fixes & Enhancements listed for each prior version (A03, A05, A06), you'll get an idea if you should update. Note: you only need to update to the latest version (A08) because it will have all the changes included in the prior releases.

If you decide to update, disconnect all peripherals, including network connection, leaving only mouse, monitor and keyboard, once you download the file to your desktop.  Be sure to disable your antiviral software before launching the update. Don't turn the machine off while the update is in progress, and don't start the the update if there are any electrical storms or risks of power outage in your area.

After the flash is done, shut down normally, re-connect the peripherals and network cable, and reboot. Be sure to re-enable your antiviral software before going on line.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Guess those guys type faster than I do...  emoticon.BigSmile.title

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
csgreeley
1 Nickel

Thanks Osprey, Davet50 and Ron.  This is really what I thought.  It is indeed a XPS One 2710.  It is a month old and working wonderfully.  The only reason I was considering the update was the Dell Support Center had an alert pop-up indicating the update was strongly recommended.

I am going to hold off.  I really appreciate your advice.

Peace,

Chris

XPS 13 (9365)
0 Kudos
7- Gold

Chris,

I see it's listed as "recommended", and "Dell recommends applying this update during your next scheduled update cycle. The update contains feature enhancements or changes that will help keep your system software current and compatible with other system modules (firmware, BIOS, drivers and software)."

Doesn't sound critical to me.

0 Kudos
telecam
1 Nickel

DON'T!!!

I just saw the message yesterday advising me to update the BIOS to new A08 version, downloaded if from Dell, installed it and my XPS never restarted.  Looks like they are going to replace the motherboard 😞

0 Kudos
csgreeley
1 Nickel

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to not upgrade. Phew! I almost did it. Chris
XPS 13 (9365)
0 Kudos
paolo norberto
1 Nickel

Have you checked the SATA mode in BIOS (RAID if you have the mSATA cache, AHCI otherwise)? Have you already excluded this is the problem?

0 Kudos