Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2006 23:00

XPS R400 XPSR_A13.EXE Bios Update Failure

Hello

I need some help please.

I have updated my DELL XPS R 400 bios from version A03 to version A13, because I encountered problems installing Windows XP, Windows 98 and linux.

Not a hard drive problem (tried diffirent ones)
Not a CD problem, works fine on a other computer.
Maybe a ram problem
- Dos 6.22 boot disk Himem.sys reports a memory problem and wont load
- Windows XP crashes during install, or failes to copy files to hard drive
- Windows 98 failes to copy fles to hard drive at the end of install
- Linux reports "Panic memory..."

Any way I planned to update bios, then to run diagnostic program.
So I followed instructions correctly.
But now boot fails, and I have no longer access to bios !
The dell logo splash screen appears and thats all.

I whent thrue all support and tried the following solutions :

1/ I cleared CMOS Settings (J8A1 pins 2 and 3 jumpered) with no results
Boot still fails, no access to bios, still dell logo splash screen...

2/ I booted with no jumpers at all on J8A1 pins
I get 1 beep at startup then Beep Code 4 4 2 4 not documented at all.
With no jumpers floppy disk seems to work so I put the A13 bios floppy bootable disk again - no result.

3/ I found and downloaed 03 09 11 12 13 versions of bios.
Tryed to boot with A12 version (having no jumpers on J8A1 pins) - no result

4/ I unplugged computer, removed battery, pressed on start button to remove remaining electricity, then plugged bartery - no result

Could any one help me ?
Is there a way flash bios again with an older version ?

Thans by advance.

9.4K Posts

November 2nd, 2006 12:00

Sounds like you have suffered a bad flash.  As far as recovering from it, there isn't a  BIOS recovery option for the XPS R model that I am aware of.  With the jumper removed, if the system seems to be reading the floppy disk you could try forcing a BIOS update with version A12.    Try booting to the A12 disk and when the disk activity stops, type the following command.....  xpsr_a12 -forceit   and press the Enter key.  It may not work, but it is worth a try.   If that doesn't resolve the problem then the best advise I can offered is my standard reply in bad flash situations. Try doing these trouble-shooting tips to see if the machine still has some life in it, some of which you tried already.....

Try clearing the NVRAM (CMOS) to see if it resolves the boot problem.  Possibly the information stored in the NVRAM (CMOS) became corrupted or has a conflict with the newer BIOS version which is not uncommon.  Normally you would clear the NVRAM (CMOS) by entering the BIOS Setup, but it would appear that you can not do so.  The alternative would be to remove the battery from the motherboard to clear the NVRAM.  With the machine unplugged from the wall remove the battery from the motherboard.  Then with the machine still unplugged press the On button for 15 seconds to dissipate any remaining electrical charge on the motherboard.  Then re-install the battery, plug the machine back into the wall and see if it will boot normally.

If the machine still fails to boot then strip the motherboard down to the bare minimum.  By bare minimum I mean remove all expansion cards, disconnect all drives and leave just the processor, memory and graphics card in the machine. On models that have integrated graphics, remove the graphics card and use the integrated video port.  If the computer boots this way then start connecting each device one at a time until the no boot scenario returns.  This would then indicate which device has a conflict with the newer BIOS version.  Also try booting the system without the keyboard, mouse or any other device plugged into the rear of the system and with the memory removed.  If this procedure doesn't resolve the problem then you maybe looking at a situation where the motherboard has failed due to a bad BIOS flash and needs to be replaced.  There is one on-line supplier that has XPS R motherboards for $29 if you are interested.  You can click here for that web site and just follow the link on the left for OEM Replacement.

November 2nd, 2006 20:00

Hello Majestic

Thanks for this quick reply.
I already noticed you were very active on this site and followed your advices.

I've tried booting on release 12 bios boot floppy and changed autoexec.bat file's last command to "xpsr_a12.exe -forceit" but no success. In fact as soon as the floppy is read the computer repeats an uninterrupted dimmed beep (keyborad has no response)

I tried removong all connected parts (even battery and graphic card...)

Whats "funny" is that the graphic card bios loads (text on screen) then dell's stupid logo jams.

I thougt there was a "white book" or something kept "secret" concerning beep codes or bios reseting...

So that's the end ?
Stupid this computer was my little girls computer and worked well until now.

If you have an other idea I'm ready to try before garbadge.

Thanks again

9.4K Posts

November 2nd, 2006 21:00

Your situation doesn't sound promising.  Everything you have done thus far is what I would have tried so I'm fresh out of suggestions.  I double checked that beep code and there is no listing for it on other BIOS related web sites.  Another forum visitor frequently recommends the BIOS recovery web site that can be found by clicking here  although I've never heard of anyone using that service.  If you were interested in going that route I would suggest e-mailing them first. Considering shipping costs you would be probably better off just purchasing a replacement board.  If you decide to trash the machine you might consider posting in the Dimension - General Hardware forum first.  The hardware forum has a wider audience so it is possible someone seeing your posting there may have some additional suggestions that we may have overlooked.

November 2nd, 2006 21:00

Hello Majestic

To late ! I bought a 2nd hand dell computer for 88€ including shipping on ebay Pc DELL GX115 PIII 1ghz 256/20HD Gb.
Cant stand to see my little girl asking to play on my computer...

It's a petty to trhow away sthis one.
Might try on hardware forum, if I find something I'll inform you

Thanks again

November 3rd, 2006 07:00

Personally, if the video bios displays and the Dell splash screen, then it doesn't look to me like a bios corruption, especially if the bios flash checksum reported OK; the bios must be running to get the display!  I'd thoroughly investigate with the machine stripped to just CPU and memory, keyboard and mouse (noting you need the battery to be good and present usually). 

November 8th, 2006 22:00

hello peterfelgate

I've tried to boot with only ram keybord and mouse (no hard drive no floppy...)
Get the same result.
Is threre something else to do ?

Thanks
No Events found!