Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2009 09:00

XPS T700 chassis and power supply

I have upgraded this system several times and now want to try to replace the mother board and CPU and was wondering what the problems would be with trying this.   The PS and case has lots of newer drives that I could like to reuse.

I think I once heard that Dell had designed this system so that it would be hard to upgrade, but am not sure. 

One thing I needed to know was what the power supply wattage was so that I could make sure it would support the new hardware.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

14.4K Posts

January 8th, 2009 10:00

You have heard correctly. Dell systems are whilenot entirely impossible to upgrade the motherboards in are really not worth the bother. One would really have a hard time with the alignment and cableing from the front panel to the board.

You would be in the long run better off just getting a new case, powersupply and motherboard and transfering over perhaps your drives and possible depending on what you get for a motherboard your ram.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 8th, 2009 13:00

I have upgraded this system several times and now want to try to replace the mother board and CPU and was wondering what the problems would be with trying this.   The PS and case has lots of newer drives that I could like to reuse.

I think I once heard that Dell had designed this system so that it would be hard to upgrade, but am not sure. 

One thing I needed to know was what the power supply wattage was so that I could make sure it would support the new hardware.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

JohnAnderson

The XPS Txxx Series have a Dell 200w proprietary power supply and it cannot be used with a standard ATX motherboard.

For more information on the XPS Txxx Series go HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

No Events found!