Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BB

July 28th, 2008 13:00

XPS420 New BIOS A06

Dell has submitted a new BIOS for the XPS420. The BIOS is A06.

I installed it and the BIOS shows as A06 when booting.

I notice no improvements in systems performance.

I do notice the CPU is still identified incorrectly as a B stepping when in fact, it is a G0 stepping.

Just a thought.

552 Posts

July 30th, 2008 11:00

@SimonLarano wrote:
I upgraded and noticed a slight increase in startup time, especially from login screen to desktop (pretty much instant now w/ no delay). But could be other reasons for that as well. Regardless, I always like to keep updated on the newest releases and such.

Glad to hear you had some improvement. I noticed no improvement at all.

My startup time remains at 5 minutes. I just turn the system on a come back to it after it is useable, which takes 5 minutes timed, not just a guess.

Even after the new BIOS update, my system will still not accept the latest chipset driver. When trying to install the latest chipset, the system just locks up and when I hard reboot it, the system goes into a continuous reboot state.

I have been trying to get Dell to do something about this system for over 6 months now without any success.

20 Posts

I upgraded and noticed a slight increase in startup time, especially from login screen to desktop (pretty much instant now w/ no delay). But could be other reasons for that as well. Regardless, I always like to keep updated on the newest releases and such.

20 Posts

wow, 5 minutes?!?! might i ask, what are your system specs?

and have you ever tried using a program like Vista Manager (assuming you have Vista) to optimize your system? 

552 Posts

Well, It is just a simple XPS420. Intel q6600 CPU, 4Gb 800MHZ memory, Nvidia 8800GT video card, 2 CD\DVD drives, 425 watt power supply, 2X500GB Raid0 array, 1 500GB backup drive.

I have reinstalled Vista from the Dell Recovery Restore partition 3 times, and then a fresh format and fresh install of Vista 32bit 5 times, and then Vista 64bit 3 times, and no success after any of the installs.

System suffers lockups, hangs, long boot times, slow responsiveness, and on and on. It seems to be just a defective system that Dell refuses to resolve.

The problem that seems to causing the long boot times is the NIC drivers want install so the network is not available until they install and this takes 5 minutes.

There has always been a problem with the Intel chipset. I have tried to install later driver versions without success.

Just have to live with it until I get the components to build another system.

I should have them all in by next week, and the XPS420 will be history.

1.1K Posts

I noticed it was an optional update, so I wont' bother.  I don't mind taking the risk if it's an urgent or recommneded, but since the fix doesn't affect any of my machines, I won't do it.

This is what it says,

.Cpu microcode update of Yorkfield / Wolfdale stepping M1, C1 & M0, C0.

Don't know what it really means, but it doesn't mean anythign to me, so I guess it doesn't affect me. LOL

No Events found!