Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2008 22:00

[XPS420]Recording or watching TV with Vista Media Center

Hi all,

I just received my XPS 2 days ago. It's a great system, very fast indeed and with 8 Gigs of RAM its even better :D Anyway, I also ordered a TV card, which is indeed built-in. It is the Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1250 (or 1200 :P). But I have some issues with this card.

I reinstalled Windows Vista, to replace it with a 64bit version of the OS. I also set-up Media Center in Vista. It picks the tv-signal up and the EPG too, which is a nice feature.

But the problems begin their. When I want to watch live TV or record it, the image gets choppy. Sound and video also seems it is out of sync and it all looks like it is fast-forward mode. Now, watching TV sometimes does work very well, but recording it is a disaster!

I tried to record one show, which is 1,5hr long, and it only recorded 59 seconds and 10 minutes :S. While I still 500+GB free on my harddrive! Also the image that was recorded was choppy and out of sync!!!

This is very annoying, because I really want to watch tv on this thing!

Specs:
- Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
- 8GB DDR2 RAM
- Geforce 8800GT - 512MB
- 2x320GB in RAID0
- Hauppage 1200/1250 TV card

What I've tried:
- Installing an soft encoder for Media Center
- BIOS update
- Installing all Windows updates
- Driver update

BTW: When I watching/recording TV the system isn't overloaded at all! The CPU and RAM are only at 20 - 25 % of their full load and the HDD is searching a bit, but not very much.

So anyone got any clues what is going on?

108 Posts

January 20th, 2008 02:00

Did it work correctly when you received tha machine with the 32bit version of Windows Vista?

366 Posts

January 20th, 2008 03:00

Yes, I'd question the 64-bit Vista as well. Media Center works perfectly on my 420 with 32-bit Vista (albeit, I also have the ATI 650 Combo tuner)... Given the not-ready-for-prime-time nature of 64-bit Vista, I'm guessing that's the problem.

13 Posts

January 20th, 2008 09:00

I already installed 64bit Vista when I got the machine and checked all the hardware. So I really don't know...

13 Posts

January 20th, 2008 16:00

I solved the problem,

someone suggested this: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_mce.html to be downloaded, which is an universal driver for Hauppage tv cards for Media Center.

For now it is working :D

13 Posts

January 21st, 2008 13:00

:( After a reboot,,, my computer acted up again! Media Center didn't work as before :S I don't know what is the problem here, but it sure is annoying.. :(

EDIT: After a complete driver removal, a couple of reboots, it appears to work again :S...

Message Edited by alex3305 on 01-21-2008 05:02 PM

108 Posts

January 21st, 2008 14:00

wynand32 wrote:
Yes, I'd question the 64-bit Vista as well. Media Center works perfectly on my 420 with 32-bit Vista (albeit, I also have the ATI 650 Combo tuner)... Given the not-ready-for-prime-time nature of 64-bit Vista, I'm guessing that's the problem.

Regarding the not ready for primetime statement, I think that is an exaggeration.  I've been running nothing but x64 versions of the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 on my machines for the past six months and have been very happy with the results.

You are right about one thing, you have to look carefully before you leap.  This is especially true for printer and other device drivers like a tuner card.

As with all jumps, make a good Ghost image (or other good imaging tool) before you leap so if you need to go back, you can do it with little hassle. 

Most people don't need to go to x64 unless they need more memory.  When you need more than 3GB, x64 will be the way to the promised land.
No Events found!