Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2016 10:00

XPS8910 BIOS supports Hyper-V?

I'm planning on buying an XPS8910 with Windows 10 Pro for use with Hyper-V.

I'm looking at getting one with an i7 processor but not the Special Edition VR version.

Can anyone verify with certainty that the BIOS does support Hyper-V?

Thanks!

10 Posts

March 7th, 2017 01:00

Yes, if you have Windows Professional then HyperV does work on the 8910.

I finally got someone in Dell pre-sales support to check on this and based on what they told me, I went ahead and bought an 8910 with Windows 10 Pro and I can confirm that HyperV does work on it.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 14th, 2016 10:00

There is not a specific call out for Hyper-V on the 8910 training page. Nor a listing in the bios. I think if the CPU supports Hyper-V, then it could work. But other users will need to post their opinions and or testing of Hyper-V.

10 Posts

November 16th, 2016 18:00

Thanks for replying.

I hope there's some way to track down this info.

My sole purpose for buying would be to use it for VMs so I won't be purchasing unless/until I know for sure that the BIOS supports it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 17th, 2016 04:00

The Hyper V client for  Windows  8 and 10 REQUIRE SLAT and VT-X and VT-D in BIOS is usually called Hardware Virtualization and INTEL Text EDIT: Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (Intel® TXT).

I think i do not know that Intel has released Intel® Transactional Synchronization Extensions (Intel® TSX) to replace this.

They keep shifting the terminology Vpro became INTEL AMT etc.

SLAT is on all of the Core I3 I5 I7 processors.   Having 1 piece does not get you going.  CPU, CHIPSET, BIOS, OS must ALL Comply or its No Dice.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1401.hyper-v-list-of-slat-capable-cpus-for-hosts.aspx

Intel caveats this  by saying:

This feature may not be available on all computing systems. Please check with the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature, or reference the system specifications (motherboard, processor, chipset, power supply, HDD, graphics controller, memory, BIOS, drivers, virtual machine monitor-VMM, platform software, and/or operating system) for feature compatibility. Functionality, performance, and other benefits of this feature may vary depending on system configuration.

10 Posts

November 18th, 2016 07:00

SpeedStep,

This is great info and a good reference but I still need to know if the XPS 8910 does do all this and can run Hyper-V successfully.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 18th, 2016 08:00

Since I don't own one I cant say.

10 Posts

November 19th, 2016 18:00

SpeedStep,

I understand and do appreciate the info provided.

I did find this post online:

superuser.com/.../does-the-dell-xps-one-27-touch-support-slat-for-windows-8-64-bit-hyper-v

The final answer to that post gives me some hope but still doesn't guarantee the XPS 8910 that I plan to buy will support Hyper-V.

Hard to believe Dell doesn't have someone who can definitively answer a pre-sales technical question like this about one of their premier products.

1 Message

March 6th, 2017 00:00

Hi there, I am looking to but this machine, and have the same question, Can you plese tell me if you bought it and if HyperV /SLAT works?. Thank in advance

Paul

No Events found!