Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2016 08:00

XPS8910 i7-6700K crazy overheating case problem

My very first PC was a Toshiba 8086 in 1981 and I've had my face stuck in a computer ever since but I have never encountered a case as badly engineered from a thermal standpoint as the XPS8910. Between the woefully inadequate HSF and the GTX970 this system is trying to cremate itself. It idles at 47-49 C and running a single file through 7-Zip spikes the CPU at 86 C. The heat coming out of the top grille is excellent for frying your breakfast eggs. It is clearly a case problem as I've pulled the side cover off and placed a 12 inch electric fan right next to it and I'm now idling at 21-23 C and the same file zipping does not see a temp above 54 C. It's an awkward workaround but it's the only way to keep the system at anywhere near reasonable and safe temperatures.

Another question is that although I've read several threads here about placing an SSD as the data drive and leaving the 2TB platter/32GB cache SSD as a data drive, I'm still very concerned about the problems that many users are reporting. Is there a surefire way to make sure that this process actually arrives at a successful result?

9.4K Posts

October 14th, 2016 09:00

I'm not finding much discussion about this issue either internally or externally.  Please check to see that you have the latest bios installed and upgrade if necessary.

50 Posts

October 14th, 2016 13:00

Yes, the bios is the latest. Maybe I just have an unnaturally hot CPU or GPU, although the voltage seems to be right where it should be. And BTW, it's not overclocked at all. What about the transferring the OS to an SSD, is there any safe and secure way of doing that?

9.4K Posts

October 17th, 2016 11:00

Not that I'm aware of, I'll be out for a conference this week, so if no one answers by Monday the 24th, I'll see if I can find more info for you.

-Robert

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 17th, 2016 16:00

We discussed putting Windows 10 on an SSD in your other thread...

50 Posts

October 18th, 2016 04:00

Yes, and I replied in that thread. Thank you for your courteous assistance.

No Events found!