Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2011 03:00

Zino 400 HD : HDMI Audio out problem : Audio not connected message

I have a Zino 400 HD with Radeon Mobility 4330 graphics card. I've been successfully using the HDMI cable to pump video and audio over to my LCD for a long time. However yesterday I tried to change the HDMI cable and after that the HDMI audio connection is reported as 'not connected'. I even swapped back to the old cable but no luck. Have tried all the usual tricks, reinstalled original Dell drivers etc etc but still not luck.

The only noteworthy point I can mention is that I pulled the original HDMI cable out when both TV and PC were on. This caused Windows to fail and a reboot happened.

I see that other people have reported similar issues with audio out some time ago but can't see that they ever got to the bottom of it.

Can anyone help.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 20th, 2011 04:00

Check the Default audio playback device in the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound Panel.  It may have defaulted back to the internal sound instead of the HDMI audio.  If that is the case make the HDMI the Default Playback device and you should get your HDMI audio back. 

By the way, the HDMI audio usually comes from the Video card, not the PC's audio, and the Video cards drivers are what controls it and/or there is a connection to the S/PDIF audio on the motherboard to the Video card. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 20th, 2011 06:00

Disconnecting the HDMI cable should not cause any problems.  But, the PC apparently detected a problem and shut down.  I've had shutdowns because I removed USB devices a couple of times but after powering back on and rebooting it was all OK.

I don't know of any diagnostic that will check the HDMI interface.  There are Dell hardware diagnostics that can be accessed by F12 at POST but I don't know how much that checks the video card.  DXDiag (click the start and enter dxdiag in the search window and press enter) will also check some but again probably not the HDMI.

56 Posts

May 20th, 2011 06:00

Firebird: Thanks for your interest but I've tried all that already with no avail. I know the audio comes from the video card and that it is an ATI driver that controls the HD audio channel. I'm just wondering if a) I caused a hardware fault (electrical) when I pulled out the HDMI cable while everything was on and my machine abruptly shut down. Or could there be a registry issue here. Any idea if there is a hardware test utility for my graphics card that I can download and run?

No Events found!