Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2009 20:00

adding ram; anuone noticing effective benefit???

hi gang i'm just about to upgrade my 6 year old delldimension 4600 ram from the OE 512 MG UP TTO 1 GIG MATCHED PAIR CAN ANYONE COMMENT AUTHORITATIVLY ON A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE NOTICING MORE EFFICIENT PERFORMANCE IN SUCH AN UPGRADE? THE MAX I CAN ADD TO A 4600 IS 4 GB WHICH I HAD THOUGHT OF JUMPING UP TO IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS BUT ON DISABILITY YOU HAVE TO PICK YOUR BATTLES SO I'VE ELECTED TO DO THE MOVE IN A 2 TIEWRED ATTACK FIRST UP GOING FROM 512MB TO 1GB. SO... COMMENTS? AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO UPGRADE THE RAM CONSIGNED TO MY ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT INTELEXTREME GRAPHICS CONTROLLER?

CHEERS

BILLY

4.6K Posts

January 25th, 2009 02:00

Welcome to the forums Billy :emotion-21:

Every little helps... but you probably won't notice much of a difference - if any at all with an extra 512MB?

RAM is so cheap just now, I'd suggest you get 2GB (2x 1GB), then you should notice a difference :emotion-55:

Unfortunately however, you can't allocate more to your graphics.  Leave Windows to handle that.

4.4K Posts

January 25th, 2009 03:00

Using XP, I have gone from 512 MB to 1 GB on a 4600 and noticed no difference for general web browsing, word processing, etc.  But I did not do any graphics or video intensive applications, nor do I have more than 1 or 2 windows open at a time with that computer.  On others I have gone from 1 to 2 or more GB and seen no difference, again with XP.  For Vista, 2 GB is right, but with XP it is overkill for most users. 

http://crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%204600

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 25th, 2009 12:00

wadboski  

As you have intergrated graphics, upgrading the RAM should make difference, as 32/64mb of the system memory is allocated for the intergrated graphics.

Bev.

No Events found!