Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2012 11:00

audio port - mouse cursor issues - new XPS 8500

I posted both of these issues just in case they could be related and since both have been present since I received computer on 10/02/2012. Additionally since getting computer, Dell support tech had me replace the original Optical Drive - HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH82N because it wouldn't write to DVD/CDs with a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SH-216BB. That works now.

Issue1: When plugging Logitech x140 accessory cable into the audio port in back of computer- power light on front of speaker doesn't turn on, unable to play any sound through them including Windows test sounds, sample music in Windows media player, iTunes, online radio, ect.

Steps I've taken to resolve: Uninstalled AMD audio drivers and tried using just the Dell default drivers, uninstalled default drivers, re-installed default drivers, performed Dell and Windows Mr Fix It tests. Nothing worked.

Sound drivers installed:

Sound Card - Realtek High Definition Audio
Driver Provider Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Driver Version 6.0.1.6662, 6-19-2012
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkvhd64.sys

Sound Card - Intel(R) Display Audio
Driver Provider Intel(R) Corporation
Driver Version 6.14.0.3090, 12-6-2011
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\intcdaud.sys

Sound Card - AMD High Definition Audio Device
Driver Provider Advanced Micro Devices
Driver Version 7.12.0.7705, 12-6-2011
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atihdw76.sys

Issue2: Mouse cursor in desktop window transforms from normal/default mouse pointer to a jagged/microchip looking pointer. Continued use without restart usually results in the transformed cursor starting to spin and will emit a glowing effect. I took some photos with my iPhone seen below.

Issue is present with Dell wired mouse and keyboard and with my Logitech K800 keyboard and MX Performance mouse using USB ports on back of computer.

My XPS came with Dell upgraded 256 SSD, 12GB Ram, the AMD Radeon 7700 HD, 2GB card, I have Catalyst Version: 12.8, Driver: 8.982.0.0 installed. Im not a gamer, use mostly for internet applications, Outlook, light Photoshop graphics.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 16th, 2012 17:00

Glad to hear that they're taking care of you!

If I've helped you solve the problem and you don't need further assistance at this time, please mark this thread as answered.

I hope the new system works well for you!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 14th, 2012 12:00

Other users have reported issues with Catalyst v12.8 (and 12.9 Beta) on the XPS 8500 so you might want to downgrade to v12.6.

Do other speakers work when similarly connected to this system? Do the x140 speakers work on some other PC? Do these speakers require a direct power connection to an AC outlet on the wall, and have you plugged that in?

Have you checked the "sound and audio" control panel to make sure everything is enabled appropriately and nothing is set to mute?

What version of BIOS is installed on this system?

October 14th, 2012 15:00

Hi Ron, thx for your help...

Catalyst Center- is there a "best practice" for uninstalling/reinstalling? Thought i saw a doc on that somewhere in Dell.

Sound issue-

The speakers do not require external power source and do not come with such, they work (brand new) when i plug into my laptop, i have thoroughly gone through the sound panel configurations ensuring nothing is muted, Realtek speakers as default for communication, sound, recording, ect...

What's odd to me is when i plug into the audio port I see the message pop-up from my notifications recognizing something was plugged in but yet the power LED on front panel of speaker never lights up, ie it's not receiving power.

Im using dual Asus VE248H monitors with sound capability and nothing comes through them either. Checked all the monitor settings as well.

Here's some more system info, let me know if I can provide anything else

BIOS Version String A09

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit)

Service Pack 1

DirectX Version 11

System Board

Manufacturer Dell Inc.

BIOS

Vendor Dell Inc.

Release Date 09/05/2012

BIOS Version String A09

ROM Size 4.00 MB

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 14th, 2012 16:00

Please edit you post to remove your Service Tag number. It's a violation of the forum's Terms of Use to post a Service Tag, and the moderators might delete this entire thread if you don't remove the Service Tag. :emotion-5:

First, download the version of the AMD video driver you want to install and save it on your desktop. Then manually set a System Restore point, just to be safe. :emotion-5: 

Now open the Programs & Features Control Panel

Select Catalyst Software Suite and click Uninstall

If it's not listed in the Control Panel, open Device Manager and find the entry for the video card. Right-click and Uninstall the card.

Either way, reboot when it's uninstalled.

If the hardware wizard finds new hardware when you reboot, cancel it and double-click on the downloaded file and follow the installation instructions.

Do I assume you're using the on-board (motherboard) audio and don't have an add-in audio card? Do you hear any sounds from the PC, eg Windows Startup theme or any beeps or alerts etc?

Reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the Onboard Audio Controller option and make sure it's set to ENABLED. Save any changes before exiting BIOS Setup.

Looks like there are 3 pairs of audio connectors on rear of the tower. I can't tell from the diagrams which is which, but are you sure you're connecting the speakers to the correct pair of outputs? Does the monitor have a separate audio cable that connects to those same outputs? Is there something in the monitor software that's overriding output from those audio connectors?

Do you have bum motherboard?

If you plug headphones into the front/top connector (#9, here),  do you hear any Windows sounds or when you play a CD?

October 15th, 2012 09:00

Mouse issue update...

I thoroughly uninstalled all Catalyst 12.8 software and drivers, deleted their C drive folders, ran Driver Fusion to delete any leftover files, restarted machine throughout process, verified in device manager > display adapter before installing 12.6.

Installed 12.6, went into the control center > Information > Software Update and unchecked "Automatically Check For Updates".

Two hours later- issue came back, mouse cursor looked like a microchip, and was actually more persistent. When it was reappearing- I only had two Chrome web browser windows open with about 5 tabs/pages in each window. No graphic/process intensive applications were open on computer, not even Outlook and I double checked processes with MS's procexp.exe program.

Sound issue update...

• Yes Im using the on-board (motherboard) audio only, no added sound card.
  • I've never heard any beep come from the computer, ever, for anything.
  • Checked BIOS setup- Onboard Audio Controller was enabled, 
  • Tried all the audio jack ports in back of computer.
  • Catalyst shows me default speakers to use for sound and I can change that in there, all is set to run through Realtek sound driver not AMD's and in the normal audio jack port.
  • Headphones in front audi port/jack. Did that, no sound.

I also made a trip to my favorite electronics store that actually sells the exact same XPS as mine, they weren't busy so there was like 6 computer associates that know their computer stuff and are hard core gamers that listened to me explain these symptoms- none of them had heard of any issues like Im experiencing and most implied I prob just got a bad one off the assembly line.

What do you suggest from here?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 15th, 2012 11:00

If you're in the US, you have 21 days from the invoice date (NOT the delivery date) to request a new system, so contact Dell Tech Support ASAP and request a replacement, assuming you're still within those 21 days.

They'll want to run through their prepared scripts which will probably include using PC Restore to reset the hard drive to the way Dell shipped it, so back up your personal files on external media before they tell you to try PC Restore.

You're going to have to be politely insistent to get them to replace the system but be persistent. Take notes of every contact with Tech Support and get an "incident" number during the first contact, and refer to it each time you make additional contacts with Tech Support. As long as you make the request for a new system within the 21 day window, you should be entitled to a replacement, even if it takes longer than those 21 days to work through the process. If you don't make the request within 21 days, you'll have to troubleshoot this system.

Keep in mind that under their warranty, Dell has the right to send you a refurbished system, but it should have the same warranty as the original system.

Hope they solve this for you quickly and easily!

October 15th, 2012 12:00

Wow that bad, everyone I've talked to said mortherboard is bad... Im under a small business account and warranty shows as:

Gold Technical Support or ProSupport for End Users till 9/29/2013.

Next Business Day Support till 9/29/2013

DirectLine Service  till 10/2/2020

Would you suggest handling any other way based on above? Im trying to find what the terms are of those and it's like digging for gold.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 15th, 2012 17:00

If you have a business account, contact your account rep, if you have one.  Otherwise contact Tech Support directly. They should know you have "Gold" support for this system when you give them the Service Tag .

You don't want to hassle troubleshooting this system. Send it back and get one that works out of the box. Even though you have support until next Sept, they'll only exchange it during first 21 days from invoice date.

October 16th, 2012 14:00

Yes, did a 5 minute chat yesterday and the new one is already in production. Thx for help, should I mark this as answered or what are best practices from here?

4.4K Posts

May 17th, 2013 02:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                          

No Events found!