Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2013 11:00

autologon

I am having trouble with an autologon.  I have 6 identical machines and on each one their is a time limit program on them for our customer use.  The program has an autologon feature built in, so the customers will go straight to the limited account without me having to put in the password.  One computer will absolutely not do this.  I have looked at registry keys within the program and all are identical.  I have also enabled the autologon within the computer itself and even that only works half the time.  Anyone have any ideas to try?  I have contacted the software tech support and they are scratching their heads and say it is a Windows issue, but I have no clue.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 21st, 2013 08:00

There is no one size fits all.  This is not a Dell Issue.  You also did not indicate what version of windows or Dell Model number. Domain vs Local Workgroup polices are also part of the Issue.  There are ALSO screen saver issues where it will require password when waking from sleep.

3 Posts

July 1st, 2013 12:00

The machines are Inspiron 620's with Windows 7.  It may very well be a Windows issue but they say it is not.  I don't know, I am not a techie.  The one thing I do know is this started after the hard drive crashed and Dell replaced it.  If you can, I would love it if you could spell out what you mean by the domain vs local workgroup policies and the screen saver issues.  I am limited in what I know about computers and do not have a tech staff, but I am willing to try to fix this issue before it drives me nuts.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 10:00

You are asking for OS and Program support for a NON DELL program. Either way this is not supported.

Insufficient information.

Stand alone or networked?

Domain or Workgroup?

Windows 7 starter, Home, Pro, Ultimate?

64 bit or 32 bit.

Hibernation enabled or not?  I recommend Disable.

How to disable and re-enable hibernation on a computer that is ...

support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

Screen Saver Native to windows or 3rd party?

If the screen saver is marked as secure, Winlogon treats the workstation as locked by calling the WlxDisplayLockedNotice function of the authentication screen (which is a DLL that is loaded during startup).

The behavior you're seeing is typically caused by either the DLL or the winlogin.exe application being modified.  While this could possibly be due to a virus (or previous virus that was successfully cleaned), it can also be due to less malicious modifications, such as programs that allow fingerprint or card key logins.
So knowing that, here's what I'd suggest, testing after each step.

1. If you have such programs, try disabling (or better, uninstalling) any fingerprint / card key / facial recognition or other 'alternative login' programs.
    2. Run a scan with the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.  This is not a traditional virus scanner, it's a single run-once scanning tool.  Of course, running the most complete scan with your preferred virus scanning program is a great action as well.
    3. Use the Microsoft SFC tool to scan for and repair invalidated or damaged system files.  If they were modified/damaged, this would repair the winlogon.exe and associated DLL files.

Note

If you don't have a Windows password, you can't complete the following steps.
To create a password for Windows, see Protect your computer with a password.

Open Screen Saver Settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button,
and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type screen saver, and then click Set screen saver password or not.

Select the On resume, display logon screen check box, set a time when you want the screen saver to start,
and then click OK. (Choose a time that's not long enough for an unauthorized person to use your computer,
but not so short that if you stop working at your computer for a moment, the screen saver locks it.)

Running GPEDIT.MSC on the  Local Group Policy Editor  navigate to User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Control Panel \ Personalization. Then in the right column double-click on Password Protect Screen saver and turn that off.  This WONT work if you are on a domain and not the domain Admin.

3 Posts

July 8th, 2013 09:00

Thank you! I am in the process of trying to get help from Windows community to see if they can help.

No Events found!