Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 4th, 2008 07:00

beeping noise and fan

I am using an inspiron 530 with windows vista and recently i had a problem starting up.  Normally when I press the power button, it beeps once and the fan starts very loud but then quietens down however recently i had a problem where the fan wouldnt stop, the computer kept beeping and it wouldnt start.  I called the technical support and the technician told me to do a 'memory reset' which invoved removing one of my 1gb ram chips (I have 4) and re-inserting it.  It worked and the computer started up fine but a week later it happened again.  I got the blue screen and the computer switched off and wouldn't turn back on so I did another memory reset.  Again it worked fine but it happened a third time about another week later and I really have no idea why.

If anyone has any ideas why it keeps happening or what i can do to stop it I would really appreciate your help.  I'm no computer whizz so if you need any more details that I've left out please let me know.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 4th, 2008 09:00

Since the problems appear to be memory related, suggest the next time it happens you "reseat" all four memory modules (unplug each one then reinstall) and see if that helps.  If not, it may be you have a bad memory module.  You could try removing one memory module at a time to see if one is causing the problem.

2K Posts

June 4th, 2008 15:00

You're on record with tech support as having this problem, and the first 'solution' obviously didn't fix it.  I would go directly to escalation.  If they know it's a memory problem, they should be replacing memory, not just having you replug it.  You can request escalation on the phone (and they're not supposed to argue with you about that, it's a legitimate process installed specifically for this purpose).  Or there is a link for it (in very small print) on the online tech support page.

What you have is not that uncommon, since memory packages went to ball grid array for density.  Flexing the strip breaks one of the connections, and after that, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Since it takes up to a week to show up, the phone folks don't have any business making you call 5 times over a period of a month trying to narrow it down.  They should ship you all new memory, and be done with it. 

No Events found!