Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2010 13:00

black screen. Advanced HELP! needed

Hi, I restarted my pc and now i get no display at all with no cursor. Cannot get into safe mode, bious or start from xp install disk. (no display). Monitor works fine tested on other pc.
     I was using s-video before last shutdown and wonder if display is somehow switched, dont think so because i have tried to restart and view desktop on my tv, not there.
     Recently new install (2 weeks) due to floppy diskette seek failure/error loading operating system problem. upgraded from xp home to pro. (shouldnt be a problem). Running fine till i installed catalyst control centre and used it, i think this was also the case when i started to have problems leading to last reformat, but prob just a coincidence ?
     I have a dell dimension 9150 and it has error reporting lights on the front that are displaying 1,2,3 along with 2 beeps at startup. This is what the error report means. (just lights)

An other failure has occurred.

This pattern also displays during System Setup and may not indicate a problem.

* Ensure that the cables are properly connected to the system board from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive.
    * Check the computer message that appears on your monitor screen.
    * If the problem persists, contact Dell.
link to dell diag lights
http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:7gngwZnFiQoJ:support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx620/en/ug/tools00.htm+dell+diagnostic+lights+motherboard&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

Restarting and hitting f2 will start and no error code displays but restart and hitting f12,f8, xp disk or no keys all get same error code.At no time does the power light on my monitor change from orange to green.
    I thought it might be my graph card  Radeon x600 (dont think i have an onboard one, no other monitor connections) but there is an error code for card failure and most other major problems, which i am not getting? I also never got any signs it was failing.
    Things i have done so far.
Removed, cleaned pins and reinstalled ram and graph card. Removed battery from motherboard (10 mins). Cleaned all dust, needed it. Removed heatsink and re-applied new thermal paste, reset bious with pin jumper, removed and reseated all wires.
   If there is any way to reformat, i would. any help would be greatly appreciated. Pulling ones hair out.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 11th, 2010 16:00

Restarting and hitting f2 will start and no error code displays

Are you saying if you boot and hit F2, the system works?

Could be a failed video card.

Ron

27 Posts

March 11th, 2010 16:00

Your link brought me to the Dell™ OptiPlex™ GX620 User's Guide, systems do not all use the same diagnostic codes. Unfortunatly the page for the Dimension 9150 is not active at the moment, so further troubleshooting won't be possible until it is.

March 11th, 2010 17:00

Hi, by hitting f2 it seems to start and displays no error code but never displays anything on screen. power button on pc is stable green.

March 11th, 2010 17:00

Thank you Marcer,  that could be significant.  Do you know if these things are usually down long?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 11th, 2010 18:00

I had no trouble viewing the error codes for the 9150. And the LED code 1,2,3 means exacty the same: "Another failure has occurred".

Beep codes on this model should be in groups of 3, so are you sure you're only getting 2 beeps?

You mentioned a floppy drive error before you reinstalled Windows. Do you have an internal floppy drive in this system? Did that error happen before or after you removed the battery for 10 min? Removing the battery resets BIOS to factory defaults and the default setting for the Diskette Drive (Drive A) is ON (enabled) even if you don't have an internal floppy drive. So that might have caused the floppy error.

Alternatively, the motherboard battery is simply dead and BIOS settings got scrambled. Try installing a new battery. It's a 3-volt CR2032 lithium coin cell (~$2-$3 at discount stores). Be sure to power off, unplug and press/hold the power button for ~15 sec before you remove the old battery. And press/hold the power button again for ~30 sec before you install the new battery (see above about the floppy drive error). Reboot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

If the new battery doesn't help, I'm leaning toward a failed video card since the monitor works on a different PC. Does the video card have a different output option (eg VGA or DVi) that you could test with this (or another) monitor?

Ron

EDITED

27 Posts

March 12th, 2010 06:00

You may also want to try swapping your video card with another system. This will give you assurance as to whether or not it is the video card.

No Events found!