Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2008 20:00

booting from SATA before IDE in GX270 system

I recently added an empty (unformatted) SATA hard disk to the first SATA controller on a GX270 system (with BIOS revision A06) that already contains an IDE drive as the primary (and only) disk on its first IDE controller. I would like to configure the system to boot off of the SATA device before the IDE device so that I can reinstall the OS on the SATA disk . Although I can see the SATA drive from within the OS after booting up from the IDE drive, I don't see the SATA drive listed in the boot order sequence configuration screen in the BIOS. How can I ensure that the system will attempt to boot off of the SATA drive before the IDE drive? Will it automatically attempt to do so once I install an OS on the SATA drive?

2 Posts

June 27th, 2008 00:00

Apparently the presence of an OS on the SATA drive causes it to take precedence over the IDE drive when the system is booted.

1.7K Posts

June 29th, 2008 02:00

I know if you remove the ide drive, it will boot sata but I think it will always default to ide.

August 15th, 2011 10:00

Actually, was about to post this question:

I have a GX270 with a IDE hard drive with XP.  Replaced a friend's old pc with this GX270.  Old pc had a SATA had drive also with xp on it.  I looked for option to set the boot sequence to IDE not SATA, but it just says Hard Disk Drive C as the option.  When I boot up, it defaults to the Sata drive with windows XP, not the IDE drive with XP.  Is there any way  to get around this besides pressing F12 and selecting Primary Master drive to load from IDE only?  Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 15th, 2011 12:00

Please don't make duplicate posts.

No Events found!