Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2012 08:00

clock is off at startup inspiron 570

A couple of days ago at startup The clock on the desktop was slow by about ~4 hrs. The system clock in the bios / cmos was off by an equall amount. The Insp 570 desktop is barely 2 years in age and seems a bit early for a battery to be going. I am assuming that this is the problem . When I resync the time with a time server the system clock in the bios is also reset. This should happen correct. My sight isn't what it used to be can anyone tell me what what the model number is? I would appreciate that. Can it be anything else? Might it just need to be reseated albeit there was no real movement besides adding another blueray?

Thank you in advance.

thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

The CMOS Memory backup battery normally lasts longer than two years but like any other part there are exceptions.

The battery is a CR2032 coin cell battery, available at many places including Wal-Mart, Walgreen's, Radio Shack, etc.  The battery is a couple of dollars and the first place to start.  If its not the battery, it suggests a motherboard problem.

May 28th, 2012 10:00

Hi JukeboxJezabel,

Welcome to Dell forums. My name is Sandeep and I work at Dell,

Previous post is the correct answer.

To fix it, first of all, update your computer’s BIOS by going to (Please disconnect all external devices before running BIOS update, only Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor should be connected) and in case it’s still not fixed and your computer is in warranty, you can call Dell Technical support at 1-800-624-9896 and get free parts replacement otherwise if it’s out of warranty and CMOS battery replacement doesn't fix it and you need to replace the motherboard, you can call Dell Spare Part Sales at 1-800-372-3355 to buy a new/ refurbished motherboard if you can comfortably replace the motherboard yourself otherwise consult a local technician for its replacement.

If you want me to check if your computer is in warranty please add me as a friend and send your computer's Service Tag or Express Service Code as a personal message, please don't post it here on forums.

Regards,

Sandeep

Social Outreach Professional

You can also reach us at https://www.facebook.com/dell or twitter.com

No Events found!