Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2011 08:00

dell xps 420 boot up issue

Heya all, I'm trying to fix my moms pc for her, most times i can get it, but this has me stumped, she has a dell xps 420 desktop, a few days ago she tried to turn it on, and the power light was a constant yellow with a sound like the fan was trying to turn, no smells or anything, I followed the various steps, unplugging everything, started it up, 1,3,4 flashed on top, with the power button flashing yellow/blue and the fan sounded like it was trying to rev for a race, then the little screen said no memory detected (I had the memory cards out at this point), reinstalled them, restarted, 1,3,4, same flash pattern, then at the end it said 3,4 memory cards detected but not working, so I then put the video card back in, and it screamed bloody murder at me, turned it off, took out the video card, did a beep code this time, by the sounds of it, the same as for the memory card, so, my question is,  1,3,4 suggests a mobo failure, would i be better off ordering a new one, or should i try something else? thanks!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 4th, 2011 17:00

Are you saying it ends with 1,3,4 on steady when it fails or just 3,4 remain on . It doesn't matter which ones flash, only which ones stay on at the end. 1,3,4 is not a documented error code for the XPS420.

3,4 is a RAM failure. Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15. Remove all RAM modules, except the one in slot 1 (closest to the CPU). Remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button again for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and see if it boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

Then repeat the  entire process by swapping each RAM module, one at a time, into slot 1 to see if you can ID a bad one. If they all work in slot 1. Add one back to slot 2, do the "battery thing" and see if it boots, etc.

If none of them work alone in slot 1, try each, one at a time, in all the other slots.

If you ID a bad RAM module, you have to replace it as a matched pair.

No Events found!