Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2006 03:00

dual monitors with intel gma x3000

Well I'm about to buy a Dimension E520. The only thing holding me back at the moment is this question:
Will intel's onboard GMA x3000 chipset support my dual monitors?
Both monitors will be 19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel.

Also, if i go with the onboard graphics, that doesn't keep me from using a dedicated graphics card later on, right?

Thanks!

12.7K Posts

December 21st, 2006 05:00

"that doesn't keep me from using a dedicated graphics card later on, right?"

Actually you can use them both if you want, or turn off the onboard in the bios.

page 13 under Display Support, depends on the chipset also, looks like DVI, RGB is supported on all the chipsets. Now the real question does Dell take advantage of all these display features of the chip.

1.1K Posts

December 21st, 2006 05:00

Using onboard graphics does not prevent the addition of a dedicated graphics card.

Onboard graphics do not support dual-monitors, you'll need a video card with two outputs.

Since they are analog monitors, you'll probably need at least one DVI to VGA converter; a dedicated card will have at most one VGA port, and more likely, it will have 2 DVI ports instead of 1 DVI and 1 VGA.

2 Posts

January 5th, 2007 00:00

Thank you very much for the responses guys.
After that, I held off on buying the machine.
Now it's between a "high end" E520 (about $909 with 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache), or the low end XPS ($999 with 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache).

What is the price difference really for? Is the XPS more "upgradable", are the components used better? I primarily want to use the machine for web application development. But of course I also want to have the capability to play the latest games, if i chose to.
One more thing, should I spend the extra $70 to get the 19" digital monitor instead of the included analog?

Thanks for your help!
-Gary

1.1K Posts

January 5th, 2007 03:00

If you didn't plan on gaming, the 7300LE, as long as it has dual outputs, can drive 2 monitors for normal desktop usage.

Digital monitors give sharper pictures than analog monitors, so that $70 is up to you.

Since you want to play the games, you should get a machine with the lowest end graphics option possible and then upgrade it yourself.

Get the following:
Processor: Core 2 Duo (1.86GHz is enough, going for a higher speed won't do too much, money is better spent in other areas)

Memory: 1GB should be enough, the upgrade to 2GB can be expensive through Dell.

Hard Drive: whatever you need for storage, don't go with a RAID 0 array, as it is twice as likely to fail compared with an individual drive setup.

OS: Whatever you need, Home or MCE should be fine. Only get Pro if you need to join a Domain. Feel free to choose an express upgrade to Vista Home Premium.

Video Card: Cheapest available through Dell. Then upgrade after you get it. I recommend at least a 7600GT (midrange graphics card, ~$100-$150). If you want to go with a faster card, you can go with a (increasing speed) 7900GS, X1950Pro, or a 7950GT.

Sound Card: Go with the most basic integrated available. If you want a dedicated sound card, you can get one cheaper in the aftermarket (a version of the X-Fi Music card is available through Newegg for between $40 and $70).

Monitor: Your choice, digital gives sharper pictures than analog

Modem: Skip out on the 56K modem if you use a broadband connection, it will free up a PCI slot in your new machine.

CD Drive: Just get a single optical drive, such as the DVD+-RW drive, it will be able to handle all your burning and reading needs.

Floppy/Media card reader: your choice

Warranty: No more than 2 years for a desktop

Antivirus/Firewall: You can skip out and use ZoneAlarm (Firewall) and AntiVir (Antivirus) for free, or if you want to buy protection immediately, PC-Cillin is pretty good.

Also keep a look out for coupons/Hot Deals on Dell Desktops (Google: Dell Coupons).

Message Edited by Brainonska511 on 01-04-200711:29 PM

No Events found!