Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2007 04:00

e521 mobo

Ok my question is short and simple,If i buy another mobo so i can oc i should be able to use the os seeing in how i will still be using the same hd am i correct or does the os only work with the dell mobo issued.

12 Posts

June 30th, 2007 05:00

Assuming use of same processor, peripherals, and expansion cards, there is still the core logic chipset and integrated devices to consider.  If the chipset driver for the Dell mobo nVidia 430 chipset is presently installed, it is likely it would not work with another model nVidia chipset or another vendor's chipset unless that chipset were also the same nVidia chipset as Dell uses.  I believe the thing to do is uninstall the proprietary Dell chipset driver and regress to a generic chipset driver from the Windows driver database.  Uninstall any integrated device drivers also.  You would them be fairly well conditioned to swap boards.  As soon as the machine is up on the new board you would update the chipset driver to that of the chipset on the new board, be it nVidia, VIA, or what have you.

Because a Dell machine is very proprietary, the safest route would be to plan a clean install.
If intending to use the same case, it's a BTX form factor case and the I/O shields of Dell cases are usually not designed to accommodate store bought boards.  Not sure how proprietary the Dell PSU in these models is but that's something to certify too.  Basically, upgrading a Dell with regular retail parts is tricky business.  It can be done but a lot of details have to be looked at to assure physical and electrical fit.  A store bought case and PSU would probably be recommended by most system builders rather than trying to salvage Dell case and PSU.  Weight the value of overclocking versus the time and expense carefully.  You may invest time amounting to substantial money in trying to upgrade a Dell or make it more flexible.     

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 30th, 2007 13:00

You will have to reinstall the Operating System and you will need a Retail copy of the Operating System as the Dell supplied is tied to a Dell BIOS. 

Good luck in getting a non Dell board to fit in the case - there will be a lot of mechanical modification needed and Dell uses a proprietary front panel power switch connector (and the connector is undocumented).   Most that go with a new motherboard also go with a new case to avoid all the hassles.

June 30th, 2007 18:00

my friends dad said as long as i wipe the drive and switch the mobo i should be able to reinstall the os with the disc they gave me.He might have only worked for hp website upkeep but he knows a good deal about computers ,and said it would be unmarketable for them to have that os disc stuck with the dell bios and soforth and said i should be able to use that disc for the new build.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 30th, 2007 19:00

After you try it and find out you can't load it, go buy a Retail copy.  What HP does and what Dell or Gateway or whoever does is not always the same.

June 30th, 2007 19:00

so your not sure and its worth a shot?

103 Posts

June 30th, 2007 20:00

Check your Windows Product Id. If it includes the letters 'OEM' its is clearly an OEM license. Microsoft sell the OEM license for a single activation on one machine only - it cannot transferred from one PC to another which is, effectively, what you would be doing. It would be the same for all the OEMs, Dell and HP included ...

119 Posts

July 4th, 2007 12:00

Upgrading your motherboard with the OEM license is allowed by MS. However with the Dell OS reinstallation disk checking for info from the bios it leaves their disk unusable for a clean install on the new board. (Don't quote me on that last bit as I've never tried it) My suggestion is to back up all the data you don't want to loose, and do a clean install from the Dell disk with the system set up as it is. Do your upgrade. and fire that puppy up. Windows will pick up on the hardware changes and require reactivation. (It may or may not reactivate over the web) If you wind up calling MS and talking to someone there, Simply answer the questions. Yes it's only on one machine, and it's being reactivated cause you upgraded your motherboard. I've found myself having to call and reactivate XP on more than one occasion due to system upgrades. It's a fairly painless operation.

12 Posts

July 11th, 2007 00:00

Fing, could I pose a question and ask a favor?.....
Did your E521 come from Dell with a 5600?
If so, would you mind telling myself and a few other interested parties what the CPU ID in the BIOS is?
If it didn't come stock with the 5600, would you tell us what CPU ID you see in the BIOS now?  If you upgraded could you mention the AMD Ordering Part Number you dropped in?
Thanks!

No Events found!