Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2010 07:00

front headphone jack on dimension e520 not working

I have just upgraded from windows xp pro to windows 7 and now my headphones do not work. I have tried to right click the speaker icon and have found i cannot find any thing about headphones there. also when i plug them in they donot cut off the speakers that are pluged into the back of the computer. playback devices are hi def speakers and digital audio (s/pdif) the hi def speakers are set as default, if i set the other to default no sound comes out of anywere. the computer was not opened so should have no loose wires. have tried to update driver but it says i have the correct driver in. thank you in advance. David

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 29th, 2010 08:00

Upgrading form XP to Win 7 means you had to do a complete new install.  On a new install the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers including sound, video, ethernet, etc. 

Win 7 will install some drivers but unless a Dell sound driver is installed there can be problems, because of the Dell custom implementation.  Also the Intel chipset drivers define the devices on the motherboard and if the chipset driver was not installed or if Windows installed an incorrect Intel Chipset driver that can also be a problem.

HERE are the Dell Vista 32 bit drivers (If you installed Windows 7 64 bit there are also Vista 64 bit drivers on the downloads). Dell does not support Windows 7 on this model but as Windows 7 is basically "Vista improved" the Vista drivers, in most cases - but not all, work OK. 

Suggest you download and install the Intel chipset drivers, then the Dell Vista SigmaTel drivers and see if that fixes the problem.

The Speaker (or Hi Def Speaker) is the correct "playback" device for normal operation. Newer sound modules work differently than the ones that were used in the E520 era (I have an E510 and it has the same hardware) and because of that, there can be operation issues.

13 Posts

May 1st, 2010 10:00

got them downloaded but still the headphones do not work from the front jackplug. does this mean i have to plug them in to a jackplug in the back if so what one do i plug into. thanks David

13 Posts

May 1st, 2010 10:00

have tried to download and it says "application download did not succeed contact system administrator"  tried to download both chipset and sigmatel driver. can you think of anything else please. thank you David

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 1st, 2010 11:00

Is should still work correctly, provided the Dell Vista drivers are installed.  As Windows 7 can (and usually does) install drivers that it assumes will work that may still be the problem. 

Go to the Device Manager, uninstall the SigmaTel and also check the box to uninstall the drivers, then restart the PC and Windows will detect the SigmaTel sound but DO NOT allow Windows to install any drivers - cancel that out.  Then install the Dell Vista SigmaTel drivers and see if that fixes the problem.

To access the Device Manager, hold the Windows key down and press the Pause/Break key.  When the Panel comes up, Device Manager can be accessed from the list in the upper left of the panel.  In the Device Manager, RIGHT click on the entry for the SigmaTel and then LEFT click "uninstall" and also check the box to uninstall the drivers.  Restart the PC.

No Events found!