Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 8th, 2002 15:00

how do i email photos from my pictures file

How do I e-mail from My Pictures folder. Entire folder, individual files and photos. I click My Pictures, e-mail folder, change photo size and then nothing happens. Also how do I use Shared Folders to exchange photos. Thanks.

580 Posts

April 8th, 2002 15:00

As to the emailing part: I just attach the file(s) to an email message. I do not know about the Shared Folders business; I am the only user of my machine.

Shadow
Apologies to Neil Gaiman

6 Posts

April 8th, 2002 21:00

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately you are dealing with someone who is just beginning. Next question, how do I attach to my e-mail? I've never tried that before. Is there something I click on to attach when I am writing my e-mail and if so how do I get to the picture to attach it? Also can I attach a whole file of photos? Sorry so many questions. Hope you don't regret answering this one! Thanks.

580 Posts

April 8th, 2002 22:00

Open your new email message in any way you prefer (Address Book, reply, or New|Mail message). In the message window, go to Insert|File Attachment. That will open a window which will allow you to browse to your My Pictures folder and select the file which you wish to attach. After doing that, it should be indicated in the Message window that a file of such and such name is attached. If the picture is not a .jpg file, you might be asked whether you wish to compress the file before sending; say YES; many ISP's limit the size of file attachments. If you wish to attach more than one file to the message, just repeat the maneuver.

Shadow
Apologies to Neil Gaiman

85 Posts

April 9th, 2002 01:00

Most ISP's limit the size of email size. Like they may only allow about 3mb per email. Just how big are the file sizes of these pics you want to send? And yes, depending on the size of the files, you may have to send one at a time. HTH

Have you tried maybe zipping them to send?

Message Edited on 04/08/02 09:21PM by jolynn

Message Edited on 04/08/02 09:22PM by jolynn

6 Posts

Hi Jolynn, first off you are dealing with a serious beginner. I've managed to start the attachment and choose a photo but it stops me either while I'm setting up the attachment or when I'm sending the e-mail. Either way it says it is too large. The size of the folder is 88MB, the individual photos range from 800KB to 1.5MB. I've already used the reduction option a couple of times on the entire folder and on the individual photos and it still says too large. Also would you mind elaborating on the last part you mentioned, zipping them to send, I have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks

6 Posts

I don't know if my last reply got to you. I managed to find the attachment option and tried it. It let me attach a single photo but when I tried to send it said the attachment was too large. I used the option to reduce both the individual photo and the entire file. I did that a couple of times but everytime I tried to send it still said too large. Also I couldn't figure out how to send the entire file. I have about 70 photos I would like to send to one person. Do I have to attach them one at a time? Thank you

85 Posts

April 9th, 2002 05:00

Ok, I'm going to see if this way works for you. It will seem a bit long but bare with me so we can at least test it out. If it works then we could try something else too.
1. open "new mail"-what you would do to start to email somebody.
2. Click in the "message" area, the part where you would do any writing. Go ahead and write whatever you want to there, then.......Look up at the top and click on the "Insert" button.
3. Then click on the word "Picture" like this:

When you do this there will be another pop up like this:

Once you see that then click on the "Browse" button. That will bring up this window:

You then doubleclick on the "My Pictures" folder or whatever folder it is that is holding the picture you want to send. When you have that folder open like this:

then you just look for the one picture you want to send and doubleclick that and then when the next window pops up just click on the "OK" button and the picture should be in your email. And then the recipent would just have to open the email and right click on the pic and do a "save as" to save it anywhere they want to.
Try it this way one time and let me know if at least that works. If it does then we will try an easier or different way...........As for the "zipped" up files, If you have the WinZip program or something simular then you would be able to take several pics and "zipped" them up into a smaller file (which gives them a .zip extension on the file name......and then the recipent would have to unzip them.
Let me know how this works out for you ok?

Message Edited on 04/09/02 01:30AM by jolynn

580 Posts

April 9th, 2002 20:00

Mibuster,

Jolynn's instructions are as good as any I could give. One other suggestion: if you still are unable to send the photos by email after that, get in touch with your ISP and find out if they have any special instructions for transferring sizeable files either by email or by uploading to a special server from which your friend can download them.

Shadow
Apologies to Neil Gaiman

85 Posts

April 10th, 2002 01:00

wsnyder wrote; Jolynn's instructions are as good as any I could give.

Thanks for the compliment Mr. Snyder.... I don't usually give help in fear of not giving the correct info. But this one seemed pretty straight foward. As far as something to try anyway. So thank you for letting me know I did ok on this one......
Mibuster isn't letting us know if it worked for him/her or not though. I sure would be intrested in knowing how it did! Hey Mibuster, you reading this?

689 Posts

April 10th, 2002 01:00

Hi jolynn:

Best email help I have ever seen! I sure could have used that about 5 years ago.
I didn't know enough to ask for help.

After all the trouble you went to and they never came back.. shame on them.

Did you notice the size of the email Mibuster was trying to send.

Dimension 8200 @ 1.8GHz
In Service 12/06/01
512MB RDRAM
40GB, HD
21 in. P1130 Trinitron Monitor
Windows XP Home
Toshiba PCX1100 Cable Modem
Linksys BEF SR41 Router
IE 6.02, Communicator 4.9 and 6.2
Zone Alarm (Free)
Criminals love gun control

85 Posts

April 10th, 2002 02:00

Thanks!
And yes I did see the size of those files!! I think they just need to get a website and "share" that way. Would be much easier.
Actually mibuster did get in touch with me. He/she IM'd me to let me know what had been tried and still going to work on it. My way didn't work. Just don't understand that at all.........The other thing is, that I believe he/she is using XP and I have 98SE so the screens I put up didn't help anyway. A shame too. Maybe somebody else can get some good out of it.

1.3K Posts

April 10th, 2002 04:00

Jolynn,
Your "most excellant" directions would have worked for XP too. I saw the post but when he mentioned the file sizes I just said " I just do not want to get involved with this one". It may be just me but I have noticed the post you spend the most time answering never seem to come back :-). But you did a great job .

Marvin P

XPS B800r
512MBz Ram
Windows XP (2/1/02)
&
8200 1.8G
512MBz Ram
XP
&
Truck Vanity Plate "Dell4Me" (Maine)

Message Edited on 04/10/02 01:52AM by Marvin P

85 Posts

April 10th, 2002 05:00

ck, IM

6 Posts

April 14th, 2002 14:00

Hi jolynn, I'm not even sure if I'm doing this right. I came to Dell Talk and sent e-mail to you. Hope you got it. If not, here is what I said. I tried sending e-mail again with photos minimized, both the entire folder and the individual folder, and it didn't work. I tried to find "zipping to send". I had seen something that said "zippered folder" but couldn't find it when I was looking for it. I'm going to try checking into my ISP support and a couple of other peoples ideas. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

85 Posts

April 14th, 2002 18:00

Nope, I didn't get any email or IM. Did you send it to jolynn00@hotmail.com ?
As for sending the entire folder, you can NOT do that....you have to send either individual pics or a couple at a time. And that will depend on the size of the pic. Please tell us what the size of just one picture is. There is a size limit in sending emails, and it works that way on both ends. The "sender" has a size limit, and then the "recipent" has a size limit. And those two sizes aren't always the same! You may be able to send a 3MB file or email but the person you are sending it to may not be able to recieve more than 2MB at a time. So you see, it's important to know the size of the file you are trying to send. What you need to do is try sending a small sized picture just to see if the instructions even work for you. I can't imagine why they would not. I repeat, don't try sending a folder or large pic yet, just send a small one to see if the instructions work. If they do then you will know by that that the size of the file will most likely be the problem. Then you could take it from there and see about learning how to "zip" up some of the pic files. But you will have to understand that the size will still be an issue. If at all possible you might want to consider getting a free website to post the pics on so you can share them that way.
I'm sorry the instructions have not worked for you and hope the info I have given you here will help in determining why.

No Events found!