Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 11th, 2010 12:00

inspiron 530 desktop question ...

on the back of the inspiron tower, towards the bottom of the computer, there are what appears to be 2 phone plug outlets.  just wondering what they are / what they might be used for?  thanks, in advance ...

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 11th, 2010 12:00

Usually those would be for a telephone modem. Network cards also have a similar port, but it is slightly larger than a phone modem's. You can look in Hardware Device Manager to see all your hardware. Phone modems are not included on new computers nowadays, since dialup Internet connections are fading away.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 11th, 2010 13:00

reg232 

See if THIS document can help.

Bev.

39 Posts

January 12th, 2010 11:00

thank you both for your input ... greatly appreciated.  Mary G., well, i looked at all the stuff i have, like you suggested, and i don't understand what it all means ... i know how to use what i use, but that's about it for knowing what any extras are for ... pretty sad, huh?? ... :emotion-4:

and Bev, thanks for link ... the back of this puter, down at the bottom where the arrow is, is more like the back of mine ... where the two "network cards(?)" are ... those were the ones i was wondering about ...

thanks again to both of you ...

1 Attachment

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2010 12:00

reg232 

The arrow seems to indicate a PCI 'Dial Up' modem add on card, similar to the unit shown HERE, that has two RJ11 ports, that are standard phone jacks.

Bev.

39 Posts

January 13th, 2010 09:00

not sure why i had those put in when i ordered my computer, but ... once again, thank you for the info.

: )

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 13th, 2010 10:00

reg232 

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

No Events found!